Bengaluru: The Karnataka government’s decision to increase nursing course intake and grant recognition to new colleges after the third round of counselling has drawn criticism from students aspiring for nursing seats, who claim they were forced to opt for other courses this year.
The Department of Medical Education approved over 1,500 additional seats across at least 90 nursing colleges, along with recognition for seven new institutions, after the completion of the third round of seat allotment by the Karnataka Examination Authority (KEA).
Following the approvals, KEA conducted an extended mop-up round to allocate the newly added seats. However, only 350 students were able to attend the extended round seat allotment, as reported by Deccan Herald on Sunday.
“The seats left vacant after the extended round of seat allotment will be automatically converted into management,” DH quoted a KEA official as saying.
Several students expressed frustration over the government’s delayed decision. One student shared they had initially wanted to pursue nursing but were compelled to enroll in another course due to the lack of government-quota seats at their preferred college. "Now, the government has added a few more seats to that college," said the student.
Another student pointed out that many aspirants were unaware of the extended round, leaving them unable to switch courses. “There was no information about the extended round. Hence, many of us were forced to take up other courses as there were no seats available at quality nursing colleges. Now, we cannot withdraw admissions as we will not get the refund,” DH quoted one student as saying.
Meanwhile, department officials stated that seat approvals are based on recommendations from the Rajiv Gandhi University of Health Sciences (RGUHS).
Furthermore, KEA authorities acknowledged that similar issues occurred in the previous year’s counselling process. “This was a similar issue even during last year’s seat allotment. Nursing seats were added even after the completion of all the rounds. We were forced to conduct another round, but of no use for students as they had already taken admissions to other courses,” the KEA official said.
Let the Truth be known. If you read VB and like VB, please be a VB Supporter and Help us deliver the Truth to one and all.
Mumbai (PTI): Veteran screenwriter Salim Khan suffered a brain haemorrhage which has been tackled, is on ventilator support as a safeguard and stable, doctors treating him said on Wednesday, a day after he was admitted to the Lilavati Hospital here.
The 90-year-old, one half of the celebrated Salim-Javed duo which scripted films such as "Sholay", "Deewar" and "Don" with Javed Akhtar, is in the ICU and recovery might take some time given his age.
"His blood pressure was high for which we treated him and we had to put him on a ventilator because we wanted to do certain investigations. Now the ventilator was put as a safeguard so that his situation doesn't get worse. So it is not that he is critical," Dr Jalil Parkar told reporters.
"We did the investigations that were required and today we have done a small procedure on him, I will not go into the details. The procedure done is called DSA (digital subtraction angiography). The procedure has been accomplished, he is fine and stable and shifted back to ICU. By tomorrow, we hope to get him off the ventilator. All in all, he is doing quite well," he added.
Asked whether he suffered a brain haemorrhage, the doctor said, "Unko thoda haemorrhage hua tha, which we’ve tackled. No surgery is required.
As concern over Khan's health mounted, his children, including superstar Salman Khan and Arbaaz Khan, daughter Alvira, and sons-in-law Atul Agnihotri and Aayush Sharma, have been seen outside the hospital along with other well-wishers. His long-time partner Akhtar was also seen coming out of the hospital.
Khan, a household name in the 70s and 80s, turned 90 on November 24 last year. It was the day Dharmendra, the star of many of his films, including "Sholay", "Seeta aur Geeta" and "Yaadon Ki Baraat", passed away.
Hailing from an affluent family in Indore, Khan arrived in Mumbai in his 20s with dreams of stardom. He was good looking and confident he would make a mark in the industry as an actor. But that did not happen. And then, after struggling for close to a decade and getting confined to small roles in films, he changed lanes.
He worked as an assistant to Abrar Alvi and soon met Akhtar to form one of Hindi cinema's most formidable writing partnerships. They worked together on two dozen movies with most of them achieving blockbuster status.
Other than "Sholay", "Deewar" and "Don", Khan and Akhtar also penned "Trishul", "Zanjeer", "Seeta Aur Geeta", "Haathi Mere Saathi", "Yaadon Ki Baarat" and "Mr India".
