Bengaluru, Feb 11 (PTI): Defence Minister Rajnath Singh on Tuesday advised Karnataka Chief Minister Siddaramaiah, who is recovering from a knee injury, to keep his legs safe from the "stumbling blocks everywhere".
In a speech laced with satire at the inaugural session of the Invest Karnataka-2025 summit, Singh said Siddaramaiah will cross all the hurdles.
"When I came to Bengaluru on Saturday I came to know about Chief Minister Siddaramaiah's injury. It is good to see him here and it indicates he is fast recovering," he said.
"In politics keeping your legs safe is very important and you have to be very mindful because you will find stumbling blocks everywhere," the Defence minister quipped, sparking peels of laughter from the audience gathered at the venue.
Siddaramaiah too received the remark with a smile.
Singh was optimistic that Siddaramaiah would overcome all the hurdles.
"Siddaramaiah is a seasoned politician and he has been safely crossing all hurdles on his way and today he is the chief minister of Karnataka. I am very confident that he will recover quickly from this injury. I wish him a speedy recovery," Singh added.
The CM was hospitalised after he developed knee pain on Saturday. Sources close to him had said there was nothing serious about it.
The Invest Karnataka summit was the first event Siddaramaiah attended ever since he developed the knee pain.
On the political front, the veteran leader has been weathering the MUDA site allotment 'scam,' facing allegations of illegalities in the allotment of 14 sites to his wife Parvathi B M by the Mysuru Urban Development Authority.
In a relief , Karnataka High Court last week dismissed a petition filed by a RTI activist seeking a direction to transfer investigation into the case to the CBI.
Further, some Congress leaders have been openly staking claim for the CM's chair of late, amid speculations of a cabinet reshuffle. Particularly, supporters of Deputy CM DK Shivakumar have been demanding his elevation to the top post, in lines with an apparent agreement reached in 2023 about a "rotational CM formula," something the Congress has never confirmed or denied.
Let the Truth be known. If you read VB and like VB, please be a VB Supporter and Help us deliver the Truth to one and all.
Mumbai (PTI): Veteran screenwriter Salim Khan suffered a brain haemorrhage which has been tackled, is on ventilator support as a safeguard and stable, doctors treating him said on Wednesday, a day after he was admitted to the Lilavati Hospital here.
The 90-year-old, one half of the celebrated Salim-Javed duo which scripted films such as "Sholay", "Deewar" and "Don" with Javed Akhtar, is in the ICU and recovery might take some time given his age.
"His blood pressure was high for which we treated him and we had to put him on a ventilator because we wanted to do certain investigations. Now the ventilator was put as a safeguard so that his situation doesn't get worse. So it is not that he is critical," Dr Jalil Parkar told reporters.
"We did the investigations that were required and today we have done a small procedure on him, I will not go into the details. The procedure done is called DSA (digital subtraction angiography). The procedure has been accomplished, he is fine and stable and shifted back to ICU. By tomorrow, we hope to get him off the ventilator. All in all, he is doing quite well," he added.
Asked whether he suffered a brain haemorrhage, the doctor said, "Unko thoda haemorrhage hua tha, which we’ve tackled. No surgery is required.
As concern over Khan's health mounted, his children, including superstar Salman Khan and Arbaaz Khan, daughter Alvira, and sons-in-law Atul Agnihotri and Aayush Sharma, have been seen outside the hospital along with other well-wishers. His long-time partner Akhtar was also seen coming out of the hospital.
Khan, a household name in the 70s and 80s, turned 90 on November 24 last year. It was the day Dharmendra, the star of many of his films, including "Sholay", "Seeta aur Geeta" and "Yaadon Ki Baraat", passed away.
Hailing from an affluent family in Indore, Khan arrived in Mumbai in his 20s with dreams of stardom. He was good looking and confident he would make a mark in the industry as an actor. But that did not happen. And then, after struggling for close to a decade and getting confined to small roles in films, he changed lanes.
He worked as an assistant to Abrar Alvi and soon met Akhtar to form one of Hindi cinema's most formidable writing partnerships. They worked together on two dozen movies with most of them achieving blockbuster status.
Other than "Sholay", "Deewar" and "Don", Khan and Akhtar also penned "Trishul", "Zanjeer", "Seeta Aur Geeta", "Haathi Mere Saathi", "Yaadon Ki Baarat" and "Mr India".
