Bengaluru: An inquiry report has reportedly exposed massive irregularities amounting to Rs 3,049.35 crore under the now-dissolved Bruhat Bengaluru Mahanagara Palike (BBMP) during the BJP-led administration between 2019 and 2022.

The Justice HN Nagmohan Das Commission, which was tasked with probing allegations of irregularities, found defects in all 761 works that it examined, as reported by Deccan Herald on Friday.

The Commission looked into four categories of works: solid waste management; road development; stormwater drains, plan sanction and occupancy certificates; and lake improvement, Smart City and ward-level works. "It is clear that huge illegalities occurred in these four divisions of work. Collusion between officials and some contractors cannot be ruled out," the Commission stated.

It has recommended both civil and criminal proceedings against those involved in the scams.

The Commission also raised concerns over government inaction, stating that successive governments sat on several inquiry reports on irregularities. “Any future report submitted by investigation agencies will lose its meaning,” the Commission mentioned, referencing the longstanding lack of action on previous probe findings.

The anomalies detected by the Commission included excess payments, remuneration to unauthorised persons, projects undertaken without administrative approvals, non-compliance with tender processes, and failure to ensure project quality.

The Congress government is reportedly under pressure to substantiate its earlier allegations of a “40% commission” during the BJP's tenure. However, a separate report by Justice Das, published earlier this year, did not find conclusive evidence to back the claim. “The ‘40% commission’ allegation may not be 100% true,” he concluded. Despite this, the latest BBMP inquiry report may provide the Congress with enough firepower to take further action against the BJP opposition, DH added. 

Let the Truth be known. If you read VB and like VB, please be a VB Supporter and Help us deliver the Truth to one and all.



Nagpur (PTI): A coach of the New Delhi-Chennai Grant Trunk Express caught fire in Maharashtra's Wardha district on Tuesday morning, railway officials said.

There were no casualties, they said.

Train 12616 New Delhi-Chennai (Tambaram) Grant Trunk Express left from Nagpur in the morning. While it was heading towards Sindi railway station in Wardha, smoke was detected in the last guard coach of the train at 11.09 am, Central Railway spokesperson Sanjay Muley told PTI.

The train was stopped on the Sindi-Tuljapur section, the affected coach was detached immediately, and the fire brigade was called, he said.

All passengers in the train and the coach concerned were safe, the official said.

The cause of the fire will be known after a detailed investigation.

The train will resume its journey in some time without the affected coach, the official added.