Bengaluru (PTI): Two persons have been arrested in connection with a house burglary case, and police recovered gold and silver articles collectively valued at around Rs 72 lakh, officials said on Wednesday.

The investigation began after a resident of Vishwapriya Layout here lodged a complaint at the Begur police station.

According to police, on June 16, the complainant had gone to Udupi after locking his house. When he returned two days later, he found the front door broken open and left ajar.

"Upon inspection, it was found that 330 grams of gold ornaments and 1.2 kg of silver articles kept inside a cupboard had been stolen," a senior police officer said.

After weeks of analysing CCTV footage and tracking pawn transactions, police detained a suspect near Begur Lake Koli on August 6, based on information from informants. "Upon interrogation, the suspect confessed that he and his associate were responsible for the burglary," the officer said.

The accused also revealed that the stolen gold had been pledged at three pawn shops in Kolar Gold Fields (KGF) and provided details of his accomplice. Acting on this, police recovered 233 grams of gold ornaments from the pawn shops on August 18 and 19.

The second accused was detained on September 14 in an area under the Begur police station limits.

Based on information provided by both accused, police subsequently recovered 381 grams of gold ornaments and 470 grams of silver articles between October 9 and 26 from six jewellery shops—three in Chintamani taluk and three in KGF, officials said.

In total, 614 grams of gold and 470 grams of silver were recovered. Of the 1.2 kg of silver stolen, police managed to trace a portion during the raids.

The accused also confessed to their involvement in two other house burglaries within Begur police station limits and several more in Bengaluru Rural district, police added.

Let the Truth be known. If you read VB and like VB, please be a VB Supporter and Help us deliver the Truth to one and all.



Mumbai (PTI): Veteran screenwriter Salim Khan suffered a brain haemorrhage which has been tackled, is on ventilator support as a safeguard and stable, doctors treating him said on Wednesday, a day after he was admitted to the Lilavati Hospital here.

The 90-year-old, one half of the celebrated Salim-Javed duo which scripted films such as "Sholay", "Deewar" and "Don" with Javed Akhtar, is in the ICU and recovery might take some time given his age.

"His blood pressure was high for which we treated him and we had to put him on a ventilator because we wanted to do certain investigations. Now the ventilator was put as a safeguard so that his situation doesn't get worse. So it is not that he is critical," Dr Jalil Parkar told reporters.

"We did the investigations that were required and today we have done a small procedure on him, I will not go into the details. The procedure done is called DSA (digital subtraction angiography). The procedure has been accomplished, he is fine and stable and shifted back to ICU. By tomorrow, we hope to get him off the ventilator. All in all, he is doing quite well," he added.

Asked whether he suffered a brain haemorrhage, the doctor said, "Unko thoda haemorrhage hua tha, which we’ve tackled. No surgery is required.

As concern over Khan's health mounted, his children, including superstar Salman Khan and Arbaaz Khan, daughter Alvira, and sons-in-law Atul Agnihotri and Aayush Sharma, have been seen outside the hospital along with other well-wishers. His long-time partner Akhtar was also seen coming out of the hospital.

Khan, a household name in the 70s and 80s, turned 90 on November 24 last year. It was the day Dharmendra, the star of many of his films, including "Sholay", "Seeta aur Geeta" and "Yaadon Ki Baraat", passed away.

Hailing from an affluent family in Indore, Khan arrived in Mumbai in his 20s with dreams of stardom. He was good looking and confident he would make a mark in the industry as an actor. But that did not happen. And then, after struggling for close to a decade and getting confined to small roles in films, he changed lanes.

He worked as an assistant to Abrar Alvi and soon met Akhtar to form one of Hindi cinema's most formidable writing partnerships. They worked together on two dozen movies with most of them achieving blockbuster status.

Other than "Sholay", "Deewar" and "Don", Khan and Akhtar also penned "Trishul", "Zanjeer", "Seeta Aur Geeta", "Haathi Mere Saathi", "Yaadon Ki Baarat" and "Mr India".