Bengaluru (PTI): Two male lecturers from a private college in Dakshina Kannada district and their associate have been arrested for allegedly raping a female student after "blackmailing" her with videos and photos, police said on Tuesday.
The student is from the same college where the accused are employed as lecturers in Moodabidri.
According to police, the student alleged that one of the lecturers befriended her under the pretext of sharing academic notes and began chatting with her frequently.
He later allegedly invited her to Bengaluru, again citing academic reasons, and raped her at his friend’s residence, police added.
The lecturer then threatened her with dire consequences if she disclosed the incident to anyone.
The accused reportedly boasted about the assault to another lecturer, who then allegedly began blackmailing the student using photos and videos and demanded sexual favours.
In her complaint, the student further alleged that the associate also raped her, blackmailing her with videos of the initial assault and claiming to possess CCTV footage of her visit to the accused’s house in Bengaluru, a senior police officer said.
The assaults are believed to have taken place last month. However, the matter came to light only after the student informed her parents, who then approached the Karnataka State Women’s Commission.
Acting on the commission’s direction, the Marathahalli Police registered a case on July 5 under relevant sections of the Bharatiya Nyaya Sanhita and arrested all three accused.
Police have begun collecting digital and forensic evidence related to the case.
The college authorities have been notified, and a report has been sent to the Department of Higher Education for further action.
When contacted, the college said the lecturers have not yet been dismissed.
The investigation is ongoing, police said.
Let the Truth be known. If you read VB and like VB, please be a VB Supporter and Help us deliver the Truth to one and all.
Ranchi (PTI): The body of a migrant worker from Jharkhand’s Giridih district killed in Saudi Arabia in October last year has arrived at Ranchi Airport, but his family refused to accept it over pending compensation, officials said.
Shikha Lakra, team leader of the state migrant control cell, told PTI that, before taking the body of Vijay Kumar Mahato, the family is demanding compensation from the private company where he used to work in the Arab country.
Mahato was killed in an alleged crossfire between the police and criminals.
“Since it was a bullet injury case, the matter is before a court in Jeddah. The final compensation may depend on the court’s decision,” Lakra said.
“The Indian Embassy informed us about the body’s arrival, and coordination was done with district authorities. Our role is limited to coordination in cases involving overseas employers and foreign jurisdiction,” she added.
Giridih Deputy Commissioner Ram Niwas Yadav said the authorities will try to convince the family to perform the last rites.
“We have already sanctioned Rs 5 lakh under the government scheme for migrant’s deaths abroad. The compensation payment might take some time,” he said.
The body is currently at the mortuary of Rajendra Institute of Medical Sciences (RIMS) in Ranchi.
The Family members said they will only accept it if the company provides written assurance regarding compensation. “Without that assurance, we will not receive the body,” said Ram Prasad Mahato, the deceased’s brother-in-law.
Mahato, a native of Dudhpaniya village in Madh Gopali panchayat under Dumri block, was employed as a tower line fitter. His family said he was struck by a bullet during a gunfight between local police and an extortion gang and later succumbed to his injuries.
Social activist Sikander Ali said Mahato is survived by his wife, two young sons aged five and three, and elderly parents.
