Bengaluru: Surveillance teams of the Election Commission (EC) seized unaccounted cash amounting to Rs 4.60 lakh, vehicles valued at Rs 42.75 lakh and unspecified quantity of rice worth Rs 3.45 lakh during the last 24 hours in poll-bound Karnataka, an official said on Wednesday.

"With the latest crackdown on offenders, our teams have cumulatively seized Rs 1.63 crore in cash and vehicles and other items valued at about Rs 3.5 crore so far for violation of the model code of conduct," said the state Chief Electoral Officer Sanjiv Kumar in a statement here.

The poll code has been in force since March 27 for the May 12 Assembly election in the state.

"An FIR (First Information Report) has been lodged for misuse of government vehicle, and five others for inducements to voters in the last 24 hours," the statement said.

The Excise Department has seized over 250 litres of liquor in the past 24 hours.

Since the enforcement of the code of conduct, 3,433 litres of liquor was seized and 218 heinous cases were lodged. The Department so far seized liquor and vehicles valued at Rs 1.32 crore.

A total of 1,156 squads and 1,255 surveillance teams have been put in place to ensure the code of conduct is followed in the state.

As the code also bans carrying of licensed firearms, as many as 46,235 arms from across the state have been deposited with officials so far.

Let the Truth be known. If you read VB and like VB, please be a VB Supporter and Help us deliver the Truth to one and all.



Ranchi (PTI): The body of a migrant worker from Jharkhand’s Giridih district killed in Saudi Arabia in October last year has arrived at Ranchi Airport, but his family refused to accept it over pending compensation, officials said.

Shikha Lakra, team leader of the state migrant control cell, told PTI that, before taking the body of Vijay Kumar Mahato, the family is demanding compensation from the private company where he used to work in the Arab country.

Mahato was killed in an alleged crossfire between the police and criminals.

“Since it was a bullet injury case, the matter is before a court in Jeddah. The final compensation may depend on the court’s decision,” Lakra said.

“The Indian Embassy informed us about the body’s arrival, and coordination was done with district authorities. Our role is limited to coordination in cases involving overseas employers and foreign jurisdiction,” she added.

Giridih Deputy Commissioner Ram Niwas Yadav said the authorities will try to convince the family to perform the last rites.

“We have already sanctioned Rs 5 lakh under the government scheme for migrant’s deaths abroad. The compensation payment might take some time,” he said.

The body is currently at the mortuary of Rajendra Institute of Medical Sciences (RIMS) in Ranchi.

The Family members said they will only accept it if the company provides written assurance regarding compensation. “Without that assurance, we will not receive the body,” said Ram Prasad Mahato, the deceased’s brother-in-law.

Mahato, a native of Dudhpaniya village in Madh Gopali panchayat under Dumri block, was employed as a tower line fitter. His family said he was struck by a bullet during a gunfight between local police and an extortion gang and later succumbed to his injuries.

Social activist Sikander Ali said Mahato is survived by his wife, two young sons aged five and three, and elderly parents.