Bengaluru: Karnataka Deputy Chief Minister D.K. Shivakumar has responded sharply to BJP’s criticism over the recent stampede incident near Chinnaswamy Stadium.
When asked about BJP's demand that the Chief Minister and Deputy Chief Minister take responsibility for the incident, Shivakumar retorted, “Stampedes have occurred in railway stations in Uttar Pradesh and Maharashtra. In UP, hundreds died in a temple stampede. Who is responsible for those? Did I blame the central government when I was in Ahmedabad just two days ago?”
Speaking at a World Environment Day marathon event organized by the Karnataka State Pollution Control Board near Vidhana Soudha, he added, “They have always done politics over corpses. Be it during bandhs or in the Gangadhar murder case, they have a history of this.”
“The government has already taken action in the recent stampede case. An inquiry commission has been appointed. Such incidents have happened across the country, but the Congress party has never politicized tragedies.”
Taking a dig at BJP’s constant targeting of him, he said, “The stronger you are, the more enemies you have. If you’re weak, there are fewer. If you have no strength, you have no enemies. They are scared of us. If the media stands with us, we’ll take oath again at Vidhana Soudha in 2028.”
When asked if he would be the next CM, he replied, “The Congress government will take oath again.”
On being asked about the High Court’s interim stay on the garbage disposal re-tendering process, Shivakumar responded, “How can we keep the city clean if we don’t act? I’ll review the judgment. Previously, there were 89 tenders. The same people formed a group, a mafia. They think they can derail us, but we’ll explain the matter to the court.”
He added, “A group is using PILs and stay orders as intimidation tactics. But this won’t work with our government. We’ll remove the old players and give opportunities to new ones.”
Let the Truth be known. If you read VB and like VB, please be a VB Supporter and Help us deliver the Truth to one and all.
Pallekele (PTI): Senior Australia batter Steve Smith was on Monday approved as replacement for the injured pacer Josh Hazlewood, hours before his side's must-win T20 World Cup match against Sri Lanka here.
Smith thus becomes the 15th member of the injury-hit Australia squad.
"Smith is named as a replacement for Hazlewood, who is now officially ruled out from participating in the tournament due to a calf injury. The team’s medical staff had hoped to have him fit in time to feature in the latter parts of the tournament but were unsuccessful," the ICC said in statement.
Smith had earlier been flown to Sri Lanka as cover for skipper Mitchell Marsh, who missed Australia's opening two matches due to a testicular injury.
The veteran batter trained with the squad on Sunday and is in contention to feature in the crucial clash.
Smith has not played a T20I since February last year but has been in good form in the format in domestic competitions.
In positive signs for the 2021 champions, Marsh too has returned to training. The skipper batted in the nets while also taking part in running and fielding drills on Sunday.
Australia’s World Cup campaign is hanging in the balance following their 23-run defeat to Zimbabwe, and they must beat Sri Lanka on Monday to avoid an early exit.
