Bengaluru: The political confrontation over the state government’s ambitious tunnel road project has intensified, with Deputy Chief Minister D.K. Shivakumar taking a swipe at Bangalore South MP L.S. Tejasvi Surya, questioning his decision to apply for a new car before his wedding while urging citizens to reduce car usage.

“He asks people not to travel by car but he had applied for a new car before his wedding. We can release his application if you want. Why did he need a new car? Why can’t he travel by metro or bus as he advocates?” Deccan Herald quoted Shivakumar as saying.

Responding to the BJP’s signature campaign against the tunnel road project, Shivakumar said the Opposition should make constructive suggestions instead of resorting to political attacks.

Shivakumar maintained that the tunnel road project is a public initiative, not a personal one, asserting that if Bengaluru can have an underground metro, there is no reason it cannot have a tunnel road. He added that all necessary studies had been conducted before finalising the project.

Shivakumar reiterated his readiness to form a committee under Opposition Leader R. Ashoka, comprising members nominated by the BJP, to review the tunnel project.

“I am not a fool to destroy Lalbagh. I know its history and what areas are being used. The BJP opposes every development project. They even opposed the steel flyover during (then Bengaluru development minister) K.J. George’s time,” he said.

Addressing questions on expanding metro and suburban rail networks, Shivakumar challenged BJP leaders to secure additional funds from the Centre. He also ruled out the possibility of a Bus Rapid Transit System (BRTS) in Bengaluru, citing a failed experiment in Hubballi-Dharwad and a lack of space in the city.

Meanwhile, Chief Minister Siddaramaiah said on Sunday that the tunnel road project would benefit not only car users, but also bus commuters, two-wheeler riders and pedestrians. He described the BJP’s opposition to the project as politically motivated.

"The BJP is opposing it for political reasons. Why should there be opposition to a project aimed at resolving traffic problems? Similar tunnel projects have been implemented in many countries, and people there have not opposed them," Siddaramaiah said.

Let the Truth be known. If you read VB and like VB, please be a VB Supporter and Help us deliver the Truth to one and all.



Mumbai (PTI): Veteran screenwriter Salim Khan suffered a brain haemorrhage which has been tackled, is on ventilator support as a safeguard and stable, doctors treating him said on Wednesday, a day after he was admitted to the Lilavati Hospital here.

The 90-year-old, one half of the celebrated Salim-Javed duo which scripted films such as "Sholay", "Deewar" and "Don" with Javed Akhtar, is in the ICU and recovery might take some time given his age.

"His blood pressure was high for which we treated him and we had to put him on a ventilator because we wanted to do certain investigations. Now the ventilator was put as a safeguard so that his situation doesn't get worse. So it is not that he is critical," Dr Jalil Parkar told reporters.

"We did the investigations that were required and today we have done a small procedure on him, I will not go into the details. The procedure done is called DSA (digital subtraction angiography). The procedure has been accomplished, he is fine and stable and shifted back to ICU. By tomorrow, we hope to get him off the ventilator. All in all, he is doing quite well," he added.

Asked whether he suffered a brain haemorrhage, the doctor said, "Unko thoda haemorrhage hua tha, which we’ve tackled. No surgery is required.

As concern over Khan's health mounted, his children, including superstar Salman Khan and Arbaaz Khan, daughter Alvira, and sons-in-law Atul Agnihotri and Aayush Sharma, have been seen outside the hospital along with other well-wishers. His long-time partner Akhtar was also seen coming out of the hospital.

Khan, a household name in the 70s and 80s, turned 90 on November 24 last year. It was the day Dharmendra, the star of many of his films, including "Sholay", "Seeta aur Geeta" and "Yaadon Ki Baraat", passed away.

Hailing from an affluent family in Indore, Khan arrived in Mumbai in his 20s with dreams of stardom. He was good looking and confident he would make a mark in the industry as an actor. But that did not happen. And then, after struggling for close to a decade and getting confined to small roles in films, he changed lanes.

He worked as an assistant to Abrar Alvi and soon met Akhtar to form one of Hindi cinema's most formidable writing partnerships. They worked together on two dozen movies with most of them achieving blockbuster status.

Other than "Sholay", "Deewar" and "Don", Khan and Akhtar also penned "Trishul", "Zanjeer", "Seeta Aur Geeta", "Haathi Mere Saathi", "Yaadon Ki Baarat" and "Mr India".