Bengaluru/New Delhi (PTI): Karnataka Chief Minister Siddaramaiah on Monday said he will go by the decision of the Congress high command regarding the rejig of his cabinet.

He also recalled that the party leadership had asked him to carry out the exercise four to five months ago, but he had insisted on the government completing 2.5 years in office.

The CM said this ahead of his meeting with Congress President Mallikarjun Kharge, which he termed as a "courtesy call", as he could not meet him during his last visit.

He also clarified that during his last week's meeting with Congress leader Rahul Gandhi, the discussion was only regarding Bihar polls, and there was no talks on any other issues, amid some contradictory reports in the media linking the meeting with the political developments in the state.

These meetings have gained significance amid talks about the chief minister change in the state when the Congress government reaches the halfway mark of its five-year term in November, which is being referred to by some as the "November revolution", citing a purported "power-sharing" agreement involving Siddaramaiah and Deputy CM D K Shivakumar.

"I have not discussed with Rahul Gandhi. With Kharge, if he asks, I will speak," Siddaramaiah said in response to a question whether he will discuss cabinet reshuffle with Kharge.

Speaking to reporters in New Delhi, he said, "Four to five months ago, the high command had asked me to do the reshuffle. I had said, it was not appropriate now, let's do it after 2.5 years, and the high command had agreed to it. Now on November 20, the government will complete 2.5 years. I will abide by whatever the high command says."

Asked if he would raise the issue of cabinet reshuffle during his meeting with Kharge, he said, "depending upon the situation."

According to several party insiders, if the Congress high command approves the cabinet reshuffle, it would signal that the incumbent chief minister Siddaramaiah will complete the full five years term, which will scuttle the chances of D K Shivakumar from occupying the coveted post.

To a question on a number of ministerial aspirants hoping for the cabinet reshuffle, Siddaramaiah said, "We have 142 MLAs, all of them are deserving and eligible (to become ministers)."

Asked about the formula to be adopted during cabinet reshuffle, he said, "It will be based on what the high command says."

With speculation that cabinet reshuffle was on cards, some ruling Congress legislators, who are ministerial aspirants, have only expressed their desire to be part of the state cabinet.

Responding to a question on Deputy CM Shivakumar's meeting Kharge on Sunday, the CM said, "I'm aware of the meeting, I don't know what they have discussed. He (Kharge) is our AICC president."

Earlier this evening, Siddaramaiah met Prime Minister Narendra Modi, during which he discussed on various issues concerning the state, and presented a wide-ranging memorandum that pressed for several long-standing state demands, including the establishment of an AIIMS in Raichur, the release of over Rs 2,100 crore in flood relief, and the clearance of crucial irrigation projects.

The CM said, PM Modi has assured that he will look into and try to resolve all the issues raised by the state government during the meeting. "On each issue we have submitted a memorandum to the PM."

Responding to a question, he said, there was no political discussion with the PM. "He (PM) is from BJP, what is there to discuss with him politically? We discussed issues concerning the state," he said.

Let the Truth be known. If you read VB and like VB, please be a VB Supporter and Help us deliver the Truth to one and all.



Bengaluru: The Karnataka government has ruled out any relaxation of the minimum age limit for admission to Class 1 beginning with the academic year 2026-27. Following the refusal, a group of parents continues to press for leniency.

Parents of children who fall under the age of six by a small margin on the cut-off date have met Deputy Chief Minister D K Shivakumar and senior officials from the Department of School Education and Literacy to request an exemption. School Education and Literacy Minister Madhu Bangarappa said that the government will not change its decision, as reported by Deccan Herald.

According to the minister, children must be six years old by June 1 to be eligible for admission to Class 1. beginning with the 2026-27 academic year. He noted that the previous relaxation was a one-time measure that was clearly confined to the 2025-26 academic year.


“If such requests are entertained every year, it will never end. While granting relaxation last year, it was explicitly stated that it applied only to one academic year. From 2026-27 onwards, the rule will be strictly implemented,” Bangarappa was quoted by DH.

Parents argue that the rigid cut-off is affecting children who are short by a few days. One parent was quoted by DH as saying that his daughter would be 12 days short of completing six years on June 1. Such parents would be forced to repeat a year despite being academically ready. Others pointed out that children promoted from LKG to UKG during the 2025-26 academic year are now facing uncertainty over their transition to Class 1.

Few parents also recalled that earlier, admissions were allowed for children aged between five years and 10 months and six years. Parents saw it as a more practical approach, with children born in November and December being disproportionately affected.

The issue of age criterion goes back to a government order issued in July 2022. The order mandated six years as the minimum age for Class 1 admission. Parents of children already enrolled in pre-primary classes, protested against the order and the state deferred implementation, announcing that the rule would come into force from the 2025-26 academic year.

After renewed pressure, the government granted a one-year relaxation for 2025-26, citing the large number of students affected and in consultation with the State Education Policy Commission. While announcing the exemption, the minister had stated that no further concessions would be allowed.