Bengaluru, Jun 17 (PTI): Karnataka Deputy Chief Minister D K Shivakumar on Tuesday appealed to Kannada activists to abide by the Supreme Court order, which directed the state government to ensure the screening of the Kamal Haasan-starrer movie 'Thug Life'.

Kannada activists have been up in the arms against the screening of the movie after the 70-year-old actor's comments about Kannada language sparked a major controversy.

They staged protests, lodged police complaint and warned film theatres not to screen the movie, alleging that Haasan insulted Kannada without knowing its rich history.

The Supreme Court on Tuesday came down heavily on the Karnataka government after 'Thug Life' was not screened in theatres in the state.

The court said mob and vigilantes cannot be allowed to take over streets.

Reacting to the court order, Shivakumar said, "We have to abide by the Supreme Court order with honour. Everyone has limitations. I appeal to various organisations that we must have our limitations."

"I appeal to all the Kannada activists, please be calm, we should respect the court. No one should take law into their hands," he said.

The Deputy CM underlined that Karnataka has always been a peace loving state.

Noting that there is nothing wrong in expressing opinion, Shivakumar said the state government too gave activists a chance to express their views.

He appealed to the people of Bengaluru to be generous.

"We have accommodated all the castes, languages and culture in Bengaluru. This is an international city. The people of Karnataka have always been large hearted," he underlined.

He also pointed out that no one can spoil the self-esteem of Kannada and the state government is also in favour of it but one has to honour the court.

'Thug Life' released in cinema halls across the country on June 5.

Get all the latest, breaking news from Karnataka in a single click. CLICK HERE to get all the latest news from Karnataka.

Let the Truth be known. If you read VB and like VB, please be a VB Supporter and Help us deliver the Truth to one and all.



Pallekele (PTI): Senior Australia batter Steve Smith was on Monday approved as replacement for the injured pacer Josh Hazlewood, hours before his side's must-win T20 World Cup match against Sri Lanka here.

Smith thus becomes the 15th member of the injury-hit Australia squad.

"Smith is named as a replacement for Hazlewood, who is now officially ruled out from participating in the tournament due to a calf injury. The team’s medical staff had hoped to have him fit in time to feature in the latter parts of the tournament but were unsuccessful," the ICC said in statement.

Smith had earlier been flown to Sri Lanka as cover for skipper Mitchell Marsh, who missed Australia's opening two matches due to a testicular injury.

The veteran batter trained with the squad on Sunday and is in contention to feature in the crucial clash.

Smith has not played a T20I since February last year but has been in good form in the format in domestic competitions.

In positive signs for the 2021 champions, Marsh too has returned to training. The skipper batted in the nets while also taking part in running and fielding drills on Sunday.

Australia’s World Cup campaign is hanging in the balance following their 23-run defeat to Zimbabwe, and they must beat Sri Lanka on Monday to avoid an early exit.