Bengaluru, Jul 18 (PTI): A woman died and four others were injured after an electric bus operated by the Bangalore Metropolitan Transport Corporation (BMTC) allegedly rammed into a roadside canteen in the Peenya Industrial Area on Friday morning, police said.
Those injured are being treated at various hospitals here, they said.
According to BMTC, the accident occurred at around 8.45 am when the bus was operating from Majestic to Peenya. The driver allegedly lost control and rammed into a roadside canteen, leaving pedestrians injured.
Due to the impact of the accident, the woman who was standing near the canteen sustained severe injuries and, despite receiving treatment at Lakshmi Hospital, succumbed to her injuries.
Among the four others who were also injured, two were being treated at Maruthi Hospital, while the others were at Shiva Venkateshwara Hospital here, BMTC officials said.
Police and officials from the BMTC visited the accident site and conducted an inspection.
A report on the incident has been filed with the Peenya Traffic Police Station and an investigation is underway, police said.
"The safety of passengers and the public is the first priority of the organisation and the investigation into the case is underway," the BMTC said in its statement.
"All necessary arrangements are being made for the treatment of the injured, and we pray for the peace of the departed soul and express our condolences to the bereaved family and wish them strength in this time of grief," it added.
BMTC Electric Bus Horror: Conductor-Driven Bus Rams Canteen in Peenya, Kills 25-Year-Old Woman—Negligence Sparks Public Outrage.
— Karnataka Update (@about_karnataka) July 18, 2025
According to police, the bus was being driven by the conductor, Ramesh M, at the time of the incident.#bmtc #karnataka pic.twitter.com/CM9ULDjIXK
Let the Truth be known. If you read VB and like VB, please be a VB Supporter and Help us deliver the Truth to one and all.
Ranchi (PTI): The body of a migrant worker from Jharkhand’s Giridih district killed in Saudi Arabia in October last year has arrived at Ranchi Airport, but his family refused to accept it over pending compensation, officials said.
Shikha Lakra, team leader of the state migrant control cell, told PTI that, before taking the body of Vijay Kumar Mahato, the family is demanding compensation from the private company where he used to work in the Arab country.
Mahato was killed in an alleged crossfire between the police and criminals.
“Since it was a bullet injury case, the matter is before a court in Jeddah. The final compensation may depend on the court’s decision,” Lakra said.
“The Indian Embassy informed us about the body’s arrival, and coordination was done with district authorities. Our role is limited to coordination in cases involving overseas employers and foreign jurisdiction,” she added.
Giridih Deputy Commissioner Ram Niwas Yadav said the authorities will try to convince the family to perform the last rites.
“We have already sanctioned Rs 5 lakh under the government scheme for migrant’s deaths abroad. The compensation payment might take some time,” he said.
The body is currently at the mortuary of Rajendra Institute of Medical Sciences (RIMS) in Ranchi.
The Family members said they will only accept it if the company provides written assurance regarding compensation. “Without that assurance, we will not receive the body,” said Ram Prasad Mahato, the deceased’s brother-in-law.
Mahato, a native of Dudhpaniya village in Madh Gopali panchayat under Dumri block, was employed as a tower line fitter. His family said he was struck by a bullet during a gunfight between local police and an extortion gang and later succumbed to his injuries.
Social activist Sikander Ali said Mahato is survived by his wife, two young sons aged five and three, and elderly parents.
