Bengaluru, Jun 23 (PTI): A 25-year-old woman was allegedly molested by a group of four "intoxicated" men on the outskirts of the city, leading to the arrest of one of the accused, police said on Monday.

They added that the incident occurred in Yellamma Layout near Mylasandra Road in Anekal taluk on Sunday at around 5 pm.

A video of the alleged incident has now surfaced online.

In her complaint, the woman alleged that she was going to a shop to purchase some essentials when she spotted a group of men fighting among themselves. Suddenly, they started teasing and abusing her. She further alleged that they touched her inappropriately despite her resistance.

The woman also claimed that when she tried to resist, they used vulgar and obscene language against her and physically attacked her. In self-defence, she allegedly hit one of them.

According to the police, the woman informed her gym trainer about the incident, following which he reached the spot, rescued her, and allegedly hit one of the accused who had misbehaved with her.

Police said one of the accused has been arrested. Based on his counter-complaint, another case of assault has been registered against the woman and the gym trainer.

"All efforts are being made to nab the remaining accused in the case," a senior police officer said.

"Based on the woman’s complaint, we have registered a case of molestation and included sections 74 (assault or criminal force to a woman with intent to outrage her modesty), 351 (criminal intimidation), 352 (punishment for assault or criminal force otherwise than on grave provocation), and 126 (wrongful restraint) of the Bharatiya Nyaya Sanhita at Bannerghatta police station," he further said.

Get all the latest, breaking news from Karnataka in a single click. CLICK HERE to get all the latest news from Karnataka.

Let the Truth be known. If you read VB and like VB, please be a VB Supporter and Help us deliver the Truth to one and all.



Ranchi (PTI): The body of a migrant worker from Jharkhand’s Giridih district killed in Saudi Arabia in October last year has arrived at Ranchi Airport, but his family refused to accept it over pending compensation, officials said.

Shikha Lakra, team leader of the state migrant control cell, told PTI that, before taking the body of Vijay Kumar Mahato, the family is demanding compensation from the private company where he used to work in the Arab country.

Mahato was killed in an alleged crossfire between the police and criminals.

“Since it was a bullet injury case, the matter is before a court in Jeddah. The final compensation may depend on the court’s decision,” Lakra said.

“The Indian Embassy informed us about the body’s arrival, and coordination was done with district authorities. Our role is limited to coordination in cases involving overseas employers and foreign jurisdiction,” she added.

Giridih Deputy Commissioner Ram Niwas Yadav said the authorities will try to convince the family to perform the last rites.

“We have already sanctioned Rs 5 lakh under the government scheme for migrant’s deaths abroad. The compensation payment might take some time,” he said.

The body is currently at the mortuary of Rajendra Institute of Medical Sciences (RIMS) in Ranchi.

The Family members said they will only accept it if the company provides written assurance regarding compensation. “Without that assurance, we will not receive the body,” said Ram Prasad Mahato, the deceased’s brother-in-law.

Mahato, a native of Dudhpaniya village in Madh Gopali panchayat under Dumri block, was employed as a tower line fitter. His family said he was struck by a bullet during a gunfight between local police and an extortion gang and later succumbed to his injuries.

Social activist Sikander Ali said Mahato is survived by his wife, two young sons aged five and three, and elderly parents.