Melbourne: In a tragic incident, a 17-year-old Australian cricketer, Ben Austin has died after being struck by a ball during practice at the Wally Tew Reserve in Ferntree Gully.
The teenager was training in the nets on Tuesday afternoon, facing deliveries from an automatic bowling machine, while wearing a helmet, he was hit in the head and neck area, according to local reports. Paramedics rushed him to Monash Medical Centre, where he succumbed to his injuries on Wednesday, after remaining in critical condition.
According to a report published by the Times of India, Ben’s father, Jace Austin, confirmed the heartbreaking news in a statement. Jace said, “We are utterly devastated by the passing of our beautiful Ben, who died earlier on Thursday morning. This tragedy has taken Ben from us. But we find some comfort that he was doing something he loved, spending yet another summer afternoon at the nets with his mates.”
He also extended support to Ben’s teammate who was bowling at the time of the incident, saying, “This accident has impacted two young men, and our thoughts are with him and his family as well.”
The Ferntree Gully Cricket Club, where Ben played, described his death as an unimaginable loss. “We are absolutely devastated by the passing of Ben, and the impact of his death will be felt deeply across our cricket community,” the club said in a statement. “Our thoughts and prayers are with his family- Jace, Tracey, Cooper, and Zach, and all who knew Ben and the joy he brought.”
Besides representing Ferntree Gully, Ben also played for the Mulgrave and Eildon Park cricket clubs and was part of the Waverley Park Hawks junior football team.
Let the Truth be known. If you read VB and like VB, please be a VB Supporter and Help us deliver the Truth to one and all.
New Delhi (PTI): Delhi Police has recovered 1,850 stolen and lost mobile phones worth around Rs 4 crore in past 40 days under "Mission Reconnect", an initiative aimed at returning phones to their rightful owners in outernorth Delhi, an official said on Saturday.
The recovered phones were traced from different parts of the country, including remote areas, through technical surveillance and sustained field operations, police said, adding that the devices were handed over to their owners during a programme at the Sports Ground, New Police Lines, Kingsway Camp.
The initiative focused on a victim-centric approach and aimed at strengthening public trust through proactive policing and coordinated efforts across states, Deputy Commissioner of Police (Outernorth) Hareshwar Swami said.
As part of the programme, teams performed 'nukkad nataks' and screened awareness videos on cybercrime, drug abuse prevention, and senior citizen safety, sensitising the public about digital frauds and safety measures, officials said.
The initiative combines technology, investigation and community participation to ensure recovery of lost property and reconnect citizens with their valuables, they added.
