Guwahati/New Delhi, Jan 9: Jasprit Bumrah's return to action has been delayed further as he has failed to recover fully from his lower back stress fracture, ruling out the senior India pacer from the ODI series against Sri Lanka.
It is understood that Bumrah was ruled out after he complained of "stiff back" during the last two net sessions at the NCA before he was supposed to fly to Guwahati for the first One-dayer.
Bumrah was named in the squad for the three-match series against Sri Lanka, starting Tuesday, but the BCCI's support staff and medical team have collectively decided that his "return to play" should be pushed back, keeping the all-important Border Gavaskar Trophy in mind.
"Team India pacer Jasprit Bumrah has been ruled out of the upcoming 3-match ODI series against Sri Lanka. Bumrah, who was set to join the team in Guwahati ahead of the ODI series, will need some more time to build bowling resilience. This decision has been taken as a precautionary measure," the BCCI said in a statement.
"The All-India Senior Selection Committee has not named any replacement for Jasprit Bumrah," added the BCCI.
Skipper Rohit Sharma termed it as "unfortunate".
"It's a very unfortunate incident with him. The poor guy (Bumrah) has been working really hard at the NCA for all this time.
"Just when he got back to his full fitness, when he started bowling and everything, in the last two days I think this incident happened where he felt a little bit of stiffness in his back," Rohit told mediapersons here on Monday.
However, the skipper informed that it was " nothing major" and more of a safety measure.
"It's just a stiffness, when Bumrah says anything you have to be very cautious about it. That is what we did, I thought it was very important to make that decision then -- just pull him out.
"When we named him (Bumrah) he was in the process of getting his workload done, he was bowling at the nets. We need to be very careful with him. He had a major injury before the World Cup."
On January 3 the BCCI had mailed that the NCA medical team has declared the pacer "fit" and he would join the team for the Lanka series.
While the NCA sports science and medicine team under Dr Nitin Patel is again under the scanner but a former India A team support staff said that this wasn't the medical team's fault.
"Please understand this carefully. On January 3, when he was declared fit, it is perhaps his workload management was satisfactory. Now how do you do it? Different body types, depends on what sort of format they are getting into, on injury."
He then elaborated how workload is managed.
"Mohammed Shami with a conventional action will have different pressure points compared to Bumrah, who has an unorthodox action. Now post recovery, you will be first told to bowl may be five deliveries at 50 percent intensity from short run-up.
"Then may be 15 deliveries at 60 percent intensity and full run up. Then 15 to 20 deliveries at full 100 percent intensity. After that match simulation, you probably need to bowl 60 deliveries at full tilt.
"I could be wrong but his back perhaps isn't holding up when he bowled longer spells and that can't be the medical team's fault," he added.
It will be interesting to see if Bumrah recovers to compete against New Zealand in the ODI series, starting January 18, and is fielded without playing even one domestic game.
"The committee under MSK Prasad and earlier team management had made a rule that a player in order to return from injury must play at least one or if possible two domestic games before being termed ready for international comeback," a former office bearer recalled.
Bumrah sustained a lower back stress fracture post England tour and missed the Asia Cup last year.
To improve the team's chances at the T20 World Cup, Bumrah was rushed to the T20 side during a home series against Australia, where he broke down once again and was ruled out for an indefinite period.
It will not be a surprise if Bumrah does not play the entire four-match Border Gavaskar Trophy, starting February 9. He is expected to be used sparingly as he would be needed for the marquee ODI World Cup at home later this year.
Let the Truth be known. If you read VB and like VB, please be a VB Supporter and Help us deliver the Truth to one and all.
Hyderabad (PTI): The Cyberabad Police has imposed restrictions on the entry of people into a 400-acre land parcel in Kancha Gachibowli, adjacent to the University of Hyderabad (UoH), citing the prevailing law and order situation and the need to maintain public tranquility.
The Telangana government’s plan to auction this ecologically sensitive land for the construction of urban infrastructure and an IT Park has triggered protests by the UoH Students’ Union.
The matter is currently being heard in both the Telangana High Court and the Supreme Court.
In view of the Supreme Court's orders, the directions of the Central Empowered Committee, and the prevailing law and order situation, DCP (Madhapur Zone) Vineeth G issued an order prohibiting people who do not ordinarily have work in the area from entering it for any purpose other than their bona fide duties.
The order aims to prevent danger to human life and safety, maintain public tranquility, and avert the possibility of riots, affray, or obstruction to any person lawfully discharging their duties.
The order was issued under Section 163 of the Bharatiya Nagarik Suraksha Sanhita (BNSS), which restricts unauthorised gatherings.
According to a notification, the order will remain in force from 6 am on Friday until April 16, covering the 400-acre area that is currently the subject of litigation in both the High Court and the Supreme Court.
Meanwhile, the UoHSU held a rally on campus late Friday evening, demanding the removal of police camps from the premises and the fulfillment of their other demands, including the revocation of FIRs against students, civil society groups, and other activists.
They also demanded that the UoH administration file a petition in the High Court asserting ownership of the land.
On Thursday, the Telangana High Court posted the case for hearing on April 7.
The Supreme Court, also on Thursday, asked the Telangana government to explain the "compelling urgency" behind clearing a large tree cover on the land parcel next to the university and stayed any further activity until further orders.
The court inquired about the status of the felled trees and directed the Central Empowered Committee to visit the site and submit a report before April 16, when the matter will be heard again.
Following the Apex Court’s directive, the Telangana government has decided to form a committee of ministers to hold discussions with the UoH executive committee, civil society groups, students, and other stakeholders to address concerns over the land parcel adjacent to the university.
Responding to the Supreme Court's order to stay any further activity until further notice, Deputy Chief Minister Mallu Bhatti Vikramarka and Industries Minister D Sridhar Babu said in a joint statement on Thursday that the government would abide by the apex court's directives.
They said the government would submit the information sought by the Supreme Court within the stipulated timeframe.
The state government has full confidence in the Supreme Court, and justice will prevail, they added. The government has also directed police officials not to act harshly towards the students.
Earlier police said that when the Telangana Industrial Infrastructure Corporation (TGIIC) began development work at the site on March 30, as per a government order, a group comprising UoH students and others gathered there and attempted to forcibly halt the work. They allegedly attacked officials and workers with sticks and stones.
Following the incident, 53 individuals were taken into preventive custody and later released on personal bonds.
Based on a complaint from the TGIIC, a case was registered at the Gachibowli Police Station for various offences, including unlawful assembly, rioting, and assault on public servants, under relevant sections of the BNS, police said.
Police also said that two individuals were arrested and clarified that they are no longer students of the university.
The Telangana government had earlier stated that the 400-acre land in Kancha Gachibowli belongs to the state.