Chennai, Aug 8 (PTI): Senior Indian off-spinner R Ashwin is in discussions with the Chennai Super Kings about his future in the IPL franchise amid speculation that he might seek his release from the team.

With over two months still left before the deadline for retentions, Ashwin, it is reliably learnt, has had conversations with the CSK brass about his role going forward.

"It is early stages to decide on any player's future. The cut off date for retention is yet to be announced. So we have time," an IPL source told PTI.

"It's a pre-auction plan to hold discussions with players and Ashwin, being a senior, is part of it. It is a mutual discussion to understand his role in the team ahead of next IPL season," he added.

The 38-year-old Ashwin, who retired from international cricket last year, was bought for Rs 9.75 crore in the mega auction before the 2025 season.

It was a homecoming of sorts for the Chennai-based player, who earlier turned up for CSK from 2009 to 2015.

He later went on to play for the now-defunct Rising Pune Super Giant and the then Kings XI Punjab (currently Punjab Kings) in 2018.

He played nine games in the season gone by, picking up just seven wickets in a largely disappointing season for the team as it finished bottom of the heap with four wins and 10 losses.

There are speculations that CSK might rope in wicketkeeper-batter Sanju Samson, who wants to leave his current team -- Rajasthan Royals.

"We have certain players in our mind to add to our line up next season. But so far, we have not had discussions with anyone, as I said there is a lot of time for player retention etc," the source said.

Let the Truth be known. If you read VB and like VB, please be a VB Supporter and Help us deliver the Truth to one and all.



New Delhi (PTI): Delhi Police has recovered 1,850 stolen and lost mobile phones worth around Rs 4 crore in past 40 days under "Mission Reconnect", an initiative aimed at returning phones to their rightful owners in outernorth Delhi, an official said on Saturday.

The recovered phones were traced from different parts of the country, including remote areas, through technical surveillance and sustained field operations, police said, adding that the devices were handed over to their owners during a programme at the Sports Ground, New Police Lines, Kingsway Camp.

The initiative focused on a victim-centric approach and aimed at strengthening public trust through proactive policing and coordinated efforts across states, Deputy Commissioner of Police (Outernorth) Hareshwar Swami said.

As part of the programme, teams performed 'nukkad nataks' and screened awareness videos on cybercrime, drug abuse prevention, and senior citizen safety, sensitising the public about digital frauds and safety measures, officials said.

The initiative combines technology, investigation and community participation to ensure recovery of lost property and reconnect citizens with their valuables, they added.