Ranchi: With speculation growing around a possible Test comeback, Virat Kohli put an end to the rumours after scoring a match-winning century against South Africa in the first ODI on Sunday.
Kohli, who struck 135 off 120 balls in India’s 17-run win, was asked by Harsha Bhogle during the post-match presentation whether he plans to remain a one-format player or reconsider his retirement from Tests. Bhogle slipped in the question while talking about Kohli now playing only one form of the game.
Kohli responded firmly, saying, “That's how it's always going to be – I'm just playing one form of the game,” making it clear there would be no return to red-ball cricket.
The 37-year-old, who was named Player of the Match, spoke at length about his batting and training approach.
“Today was really nice to kind of get into the game like that. Pitch played decently in the first 20-25 overs before it started to slow down. Was just about staying the space of enjoyment. Of course when you get a start, you get into the situation, you know what needs to be done. The experience kicks on,” he said.
Kohli added that his preparation is now mostly mental.
“I've never been a believer of preparation. All my preparation is mental. As long as my physical levels are up and the mental sharpness is there, then you know it's fine. I took a day off before the game. I'm 37 and need time for recovery.”
He said that even at this stage of his career, he trusts his instincts.
“If you've played 300-odd games and so much cricket, you know when you're hitting balls in practice, you know the reflexes are there and the physical ability is there to bat long. As long as you're hitting the ball well and playing good cricket, it's about physically fit, mentally ready and excited.”
Kohli’s century set up India’s win in the opening match of the three-game ODI series, giving the hosts a 1-0 lead.
Let the Truth be known. If you read VB and like VB, please be a VB Supporter and Help us deliver the Truth to one and all.
Prayagraj (UP) (PTI): A special POCSO court here on Saturday ordered the Jhunsi Police Station SHO to register an FIR against Swami Avimukteshwaranand Saraswati to investigate allegations of sexual abuse of boys.
Last week, the court of Special Judge (POCSO Act) Vinod Kumar Chaurasia reserved its decision on an application filed by Ashutosh Brahmachari Maharaj and others under Section 173(4) of the BNS after examining the evidence and recording the statements of the victimised 'batooks', the boys, as they are called at the ashram, Vidya Math.
The petitioner had filed the application seeking direction for an FIR against Avimukteshwaranand under sections 69, 74, 75, 76, 79, and 109 (all related to sexual assault) of the BNS, as well as sections 3/5/9 and 17 of the POCSO Act.
The court accepted the petition and ordered the police to conduct an investigation.
"Now we will get justice," Ashutosh Brahmachari said.
"Starting today, we are organising a Sanatan Yatra from here to Vidya Math (Varanasi). We will demonstrate how children are sexually abused on the fifth floor of Vidya Math. There is ample evidence of child abuse there. We have presented all the evidence to the court and will also provide it to the police," he said.
Avimukteshwarananda has been in the headlines for his confrontation with the organisers of the Magh Mela in Prayagraj. He accused the administration he was prevented from bathing on Mauni Amavasya.
