New Delhi: The Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) is preparing for a leadership change later this month. Latest reports suggest that a former Indian cricketing legend is being considered for the president’s post, according to Hindustan Times.

Informal discussions have already taken place with the cricketer who is known for his record-breaking performances, during the Anderson-Tendulkar Trophy. A senior political leader is also believed to have met him in England recently to gauge his willingness. While the cricketer’s response remains unclear, the outreach signals serious intent from influential stakeholders.

The move would continue the recent pattern of cricketers leading the Board. Sourav Ganguly served as president from 2019, followed by 1983 World Cup winner Roger Binny, who stepped down after turning 70, the upper age limit set under BCCI regulations. Vice-president Rajeev Shukla is currently serving as acting president until fresh elections.

The Annual General Meeting (AGM) will be held in the last week of September. The members will decide on selecting the president, secretary, vice-president, joint secretary, treasurer and IPL chairman.

As previous terms, insiders expect the elections to be uncontested, with selections based on consensus among political and cricketing stakeholders. Treasurer Prabhtej Bhatia and Joint Secretary Rohan Gauns Desai are expected to continue in their posts. As the cumulative tenure of Devajit Saikia remains within permissible limits he is also likely to retain his joint secretary position.

The upcoming National Sports Governance Act, once implemented, may reshape the rules for cricket administration. Until then, the BCCI will continue to function under its current constitution.

The post of IPL chairman has attracted strong interest, with names such as Rajeev Shukla and former Mumbai Cricket Association secretary Sanjay Naik under consideration. Should Shukla take over as IPL chairman, BJP leader and Bihar Cricket Association president Rakesh Tiwari could emerge as a frontrunner for the vice-president’s role. 

Let the Truth be known. If you read VB and like VB, please be a VB Supporter and Help us deliver the Truth to one and all.



New Delhi (PTI): Delhi Police has recovered 1,850 stolen and lost mobile phones worth around Rs 4 crore in past 40 days under "Mission Reconnect", an initiative aimed at returning phones to their rightful owners in outernorth Delhi, an official said on Saturday.

The recovered phones were traced from different parts of the country, including remote areas, through technical surveillance and sustained field operations, police said, adding that the devices were handed over to their owners during a programme at the Sports Ground, New Police Lines, Kingsway Camp.

The initiative focused on a victim-centric approach and aimed at strengthening public trust through proactive policing and coordinated efforts across states, Deputy Commissioner of Police (Outernorth) Hareshwar Swami said.

As part of the programme, teams performed 'nukkad nataks' and screened awareness videos on cybercrime, drug abuse prevention, and senior citizen safety, sensitising the public about digital frauds and safety measures, officials said.

The initiative combines technology, investigation and community participation to ensure recovery of lost property and reconnect citizens with their valuables, they added.