Karachi, May 20: Experienced left-arm pace duo of Muhammad Aamir and Wahab Riaz were included in Pakistan's final 15-member World Cup squad following their 0-4 loss to England in the ODI series.
Both the bowlers were not included in the initial World Cup squad announced last month but Aamir, who is yet to recover from chickenpox, was named for the one-day series against England which Pakistan completed on Sunday.
The selectors have axed allrounder Faheem Ashraf and left-arm pacer Junaid Khan from their initial World Cup squad to make way for the two senior players.
The selectors had discarded Wahab from the tour to England but after the thrashing given to the Pakistani pacers in the one-day series they apparently had a change of mind.
Wahab, who turns 34 next month, last played a one-day international for his country in the opening match of the 2017 Champions Trophy against India going for 87 runs without a wicket and than limping off with an injury.
Since than the selectors have ignored him for 50-overs cricket while Aamir also didn't feature in the series against England after contracting chickenpox and his form remains a concern after he took just five wickets in his last 14 ODIs since the Champions Trophy.
According to the cricket board, Aamir has recovered from his chickenpox and he and Wahab will be available for the warm-up matches against Afghanistan and Bangladesh this week.
In another major decision, the selectors have dropped young batsman Abid Ali from their World Cup squad to make way for the hard-hitting Asif Ali.
Ali was initially not part of the World Cup squad and went to England for the ODI series where he scored two half centuries.
"The lack of potency of our frontline bowlers in the recent ODI series meant that a change was needed. In addition, we now know that we will encounter batting wickets throughout the World Cup campaign," Chief Selector, Inzamam-ul-Haq said.
"The combination of these elements, meant that we believed right now, utilising the World Cup experience and knowledge of Wahab was the correct choice," he said.
"Wahab has been training and playing club cricket, and the player of his calibre will not face much problem in adapting and adjusting to the gruelling demands of the World Cup," Inzamam said.
On the exclusion of Abid Ali, Inzamam said: "It was not an easy decision to leave him out particularly after he got only one opportunity on the tour. But, he was our third choice opener. After both struck early form, we preferred Asif Ali as he brings firepower to the team that can strengthen our chances in the tournament," the Chief Selector said.
Abid, despite being a member of the initial World Cup squad, was given just one opportunity on the entire tour.
Inzamam said the final 15-member squad was announced in consultation with the captain and head coach.
Wahab has been included in the squad in place of allrounder, Faheem Ashraf while the experienced left arm pacer, Junaid Khan has also been dropped after playing in just two ODI matches against England.
Pakistan World Cup squad: Fakhar Zaman, Imam-ul-Haq, Babar Azam, Haris Sohail, Asif Ali, Shoaib Malik, Muhammad Hafeez, Sarfaraz Ahmed (Capt), Imad Wasim, Shadab Khan, Wahab Riaz, Muhammad Aamir, Hasan Ali, Shaheen Shah Afridi and Muhammad Hasnain.
Let the Truth be known. If you read VB and like VB, please be a VB Supporter and Help us deliver the Truth to one and all.
New Delhi (PTI): Parliament early Friday passed the contentious Waqf (Amendment) Bill, 2025, after it was approved by the Rajya Sabha.
The Lok Sabha had on Thursday approved the Bill after over a 12-hour debate.
In Rajya Sabha, the Bill got 128 votes in its favour and 95 against after all the amendments moved by the opposition were rejected.
In the lower house, the bill was supported by 288 MPs while 232 voted against it.
Participating in a debate in the Rajya Sabha, Minority Affairs Minister Kiren Rijiju said the Bill was brought with a number of amendments based on suggestions given by various stakeholders.
"The Waqf Board is a statutory body. All government bodies should be secular," the minister said, explaining the inclusion of non-Muslims on the board.
He, however, said the number of non-Muslims has been restricted to only four out of 22.
Rijiju also alleged that the Congress and other opposition parties, and not the BJP, were trying to scare Muslims with the Waqf Bill.
"You (opposition) are pushing Muslims out of the mainstream," he added.
He said for 60 years, the Congress and others ruled the country, but did not do much for Muslims and the community continues to live in poverty.
"Muslims are poor, who is responsible? You (Congress) are. Modi is now leading the government to uplift them," the minister said.
According to the Waqf (Amendment) Bill, Waqf tribunals will be strengthened, a structured selection process will be maintained, and a tenure will be fixed to ensure efficient dispute resolution.
As per the Bill, while Waqf institutions' mandatory contribution to Waqf boards is reduced from 7 per cent to 5 per cent, Waqf institutions earning over Rs 1 lakh will undergo audits by state-sponsored auditors.
A centralised portal will automate Waqf property management, improving efficiency and transparency.
The Bill proposes that practising Muslims (for at least five years) can dedicate their property to the Waqf, restoring pre-2013 rules.
It stipulates that women must receive their inheritance before the Waqf declaration, with special provisions for widows, divorced women and orphans.
The Bill proposes that an officer above the rank of collector investigate government properties claimed as Waqf.
It also proposes that non-Muslim members be included in the central and state Waqf boards for inclusivity.