Canterbury: India A pacer Mukesh Kumar sparked a wave of criticism online after walking out in Virat Kohli’s iconic No. 18 jersey during the first unofficial Test against the England Lions. Kohli, who recently retired from Test cricket, made the number synonymous with his career, and many fans took to social media to express their displeasure over another player donning it.
Kohli, who scored 9,230 runs in 123 Test matches and led India in 68 of them, had worn the No. 18 jersey throughout his red-ball career. Following his sudden retirement on 12 May, the number holds deep emotional value for his fans, with some demanding that the BCCI retire it in his honour, similar to Sachin Tendulkar’s No. 10 jersey.
“Mukesh Kumar wearing our Virat Kohli's number 18 jersey. How dare he? What is his Instagram?” read one of the widely circulated posts on X (formerly Twitter), reflecting the emotional backlash from Kohli’s supporters.
Mukesh Kumar, who has previously worn the No. 49 jersey, has not commented on the number switch. It is unclear whether the decision was deliberate or an administrative oversight. The BCCI has also not issued any statement on the matter.
Meanwhile, Mukesh made an impact with the ball, taking three wickets and helping India A mount a comeback. Despite Max Holden's century, the England Lions reached 333 for five at lunch on the penultimate day, trailing by 224 runs. Overnight centurion Tom Haines (142) was still at the crease alongside Dan Mousley (2).
Though Mukesh’s performance drew praise, the jersey controversy continues to trend online, with Kohli fans seeing the number 18 as more than just a shirt, for many, it symbolises an unforgettable chapter in Indian cricket history.
Let the Truth be known. If you read VB and like VB, please be a VB Supporter and Help us deliver the Truth to one and all.
Jamtara (Jharkhand) (PTI): A man was shot dead by three unidentified bike-borne armed miscreants in Jharkhand’s Jamtara district on Sunday, police said.
The incident took place at Dharampur village within Narainpur police station limits when the victim, identified as Furkan Ansari, a resident of the same village, had gone out for his morning tea at a stall around 8.15 am, they said.
Narainpur OC Murad Hasan said, "The victim's body was handed over to his family members after post-mortem examination at Sadar Hospital."
Police have launched an investigation into the matter, the OC said.
