New Delhi, Aug 19 (PTI): Former India off-spinner Ravichandran Ashwin on Tuesday expressed disappointment over Shreyas Iyer's exclusion from the Asia Cup squad, terming it "sad" and "unfair" while also questioning the logic behind leaving out opener Yashasvi Jaiswal.

The BCCI has named a 15-member India squad for the continental tournament beginning September 9 in the UAE.

"Selection is a thankless job. You have to let someone out. When you talk to them, you have to go through that sadness and disappointment in their faces. I hope, someone has talked to Shreyas and Jaiswal," Ashwin said on his YouTube channel Ash Ki Baat.

While Iyer, who led Kolkata Knight Riders to the IPL title in 2024, was left out, young opener Jaiswal too did not make the cut.

"When you have Jaiswal as your third opener, you have brought Shubman Gill in the team by removing a person from the World Cup winning squad. I mean, I am happy for Shubman but I am very, very sad for both Shreyas and Jaiswal. It's just not fair on both," Ashwin said.

Highlighting Iyer's track record, Ashwin said: "Look at the credentials of Shreyas Iyer. He went out of the team. But came in the Champions Trophy and did amazing batting. He won and gave it to you.

"If the answer is that Shubman Gill is in blasting form, Shreyas Iyer is also in high-quality form. Jaiswal's innings on a tricky pitch in the last game in the Oval... he is also in cracking form. So, how can you give an answer for this?

"What Shreyas has done wrong... he did brilliantly well for KKR, made them win. He was sent into the auction. He then took Punjab to the finals for the first time since 2014. He overcame the short ball problem. He was hitting the likes of Kagiso Rabada and Jasprit Bumrah with ease in the IPL. I am just extremely sad for him and Yashasvi Jaiswal; it is extremely unfair."

Iyer, who has played 51 T20Is for India, has scored 1104 runs at an average of 30.66 and a strike rate of 136.12. His last appearance in the format came against Australia in December 2023.

The Mumbai batter also has a strong leadership record in the IPL, guiding Delhi Capitals to the playoffs in 2019 and to their maiden final in 2020, before steering KKR to the title last year.

Former India assistant coach Abhishek Nayar too criticised the selectors' decision, suggesting it signals Iyer is no longer in the reckoning for T20 cricket.

"I can't fathom or understand what reason could justify Shreyas Iyer not being part of the 20-member squad," Nayar told JioHotstar.

"I'm not even talking about the final 15, but the 20 itself, which sends a clear message, that Shreyas Iyer is not in the selectors' scheme of things, at least from a T20 perspective."

Gill's elevation as vice-captain, Nayar felt, points towards a long-term leadership role.

"This squad announcement sort of tells you the mindset of the selectors. With selection of Shubman, in time, he is going to be an all-format captain, and that's where they are sort of positioning him.

"Great pick, terrific player. I'm sure he's going to follow the mindset of being attacking, having that approach. And I feel it's going to be a very, very interesting next 12 months in Shubman Gill's life."

The selectors also named pace spearhead Jasprit Bumrah in the squad despite recent concerns over his workload, especially with a home series against the West Indies starting in the first week of October.

"We all need to understand that Bumrah is a prized asset. He is the difference between winning and not winning a championship, and that must be respected," Nayar said.

"His workload and his body must be respected, because when you don't have him in crucial matches, the impact is massive. Whatever the plan is, no one knows it better than Bumrah himself. He'll be the best judge of what his body can handle and can communicate that with the selectors and team management.

"Knowing him and having spent time with him, I can tell you nothing matters more to him than performing well and winning championships for India."

Let the Truth be known. If you read VB and like VB, please be a VB Supporter and Help us deliver the Truth to one and all.



New Delhi (PTI): Delhi Police has recovered 1,850 stolen and lost mobile phones worth around Rs 4 crore in past 40 days under "Mission Reconnect", an initiative aimed at returning phones to their rightful owners in outernorth Delhi, an official said on Saturday.

The recovered phones were traced from different parts of the country, including remote areas, through technical surveillance and sustained field operations, police said, adding that the devices were handed over to their owners during a programme at the Sports Ground, New Police Lines, Kingsway Camp.

The initiative focused on a victim-centric approach and aimed at strengthening public trust through proactive policing and coordinated efforts across states, Deputy Commissioner of Police (Outernorth) Hareshwar Swami said.

As part of the programme, teams performed 'nukkad nataks' and screened awareness videos on cybercrime, drug abuse prevention, and senior citizen safety, sensitising the public about digital frauds and safety measures, officials said.

The initiative combines technology, investigation and community participation to ensure recovery of lost property and reconnect citizens with their valuables, they added.