New Delhi: Tamil Nadu on Monday defeated Karnataka to defend its Syed Mushtaq Ali Trophy title with a last-ball-six win against their traditional rivals.
Chasing 153, Tamil Nadu needed 16 off 6 balls and Shahrukh Khan who was hitting the ball cleanly today, came to the team’s rescue and finished the match. With five runs needed on the last delivery of the over, Shahrukh Khan hit a six over deep square leg and pulled the special victory for his team.
With this, Karnataka lost its first-ever white-ball final.
“This inning was due from SRK, he was hitting it well in the nets. We believed in SRK, Mohammed, and Sanjay, these three are capable of the big ones. In the middle, Cariappa bowled well, so we couldn't accelerate. Karnataka and TN always have a rivalry and we are happy to end up on the winning side,” Tamil Nadu captain Vijay Shankar said while collecting the trophy.
“There were a lot of things in my mind, but I tried to keep it simple. The ball was rough and the wicket was slow, so I wanted to connect it off the middle. I was waiting to hit it over long-on, and I got the room to get it over square leg. We played a bit slow in the middle, but that's the trend of our team - the roles are well-defined, and the top order had trust in me and Mohammed. He (Mohammed) has been a special talent so thanks to him. It has been a special thing to hit a last-ball six. I'll remember this for a long time,” Shahrukh Khan said.
“It is a bittersweet feeling. The boys have put up their hands every time we have needed someone. We deserved to come to the final. We can't take it away from them, they were better at the crunch moment. We were expecting more from our top order, but someone had to put up their hands, and the middle order and spinners did just that. We'd love to bounce back strongly,” Karnataka captain Manish Pandey said.
Let the Truth be known. If you read VB and like VB, please be a VB Supporter and Help us deliver the Truth to one and all.
Bengaluru, Apr 3 (PTI): The Karnataka government decided to establish a Gig Workers’ Welfare Board, Chief Minister Siddaramaiah’s office said on Thursday.
The decision was made following a discussion between Siddaramaiah and Congress leader Rahul Gandhi in New Delhi.
According to a statement issued by the Chief Minister’s Office (CMO), Rahul Gandhi inquired about the timeline for formulating the Gig Workers' Welfare Act, which he had promised during his Bharat Jodo Yatra and the elections.
"The Karnataka government has decided to establish a Gig Workers' Welfare Board to ensure the well-being of workers employed by companies like Amazon, Flipkart, Ola, Uber, and others," the statement said.
It further stated that a five per cent cess would be collected from the concerned companies, while the state government would provide the remaining funds required to support welfare schemes for gig workers.
"A comprehensive bill covering all aspects of gig workers' welfare will be prepared and presented before the state cabinet for approval," the statement added.
Three gig worker representatives—Rakshitha Dev, Sheikh Salahuddin, and Nikhil Dev—were also invited to the meeting.
They appreciated the government's initiative and expressed hope for improved working conditions.
State ministers Santosh Lad, Priyank Kharge, and M B Patil were present at the meeting.
Santosh Lad was quoted as saying that Rahul Gandhi, who had earlier advocated for gig workers' rights during the Bharat Jodo Yatra, welcomed the eight-point proposal prepared by the Labour department.
Rahul Gandhi also emphasised the need for swift implementation to safeguard gig workers' interests.
"The Karnataka Labour Department has already introduced three key bills—covering workers' gratuity, cinema workers' rights, and now, gig workers' welfare. The unorganised workers' sector has lauded the government's efforts and extended full support for this progressive move," the statement quoted Lad as saying.