Bridgetown: Australian cricketer Usman Khawaja has refused to engage with leading sports broadcaster SEN during the ongoing Test series in the Caribbean, citing the outlet’s dismissal of veteran journalist Peter Lalor earlier this year over his social media posts about the Israeli attacks on Palestine.
The incident occurred after the first day of the Test match against the West Indies, where Khawaja scored 47 runs in Australia's first innings total of 180. When approached for a post-match interview, he declined upon noticing the SEN microphone and informed reporters Adam Collins and Bharat Sundaresan of his decision.
Peter Lalor was terminated by SEN during Australia’s tour of Sri Lanka in February, after he tweeted about Israeli airstrikes and Palestinian prisoners while covering a Test in Galle. Reacting to Khawaja’s gesture, Lalor said, “Usman is a man of principle whose support I valued greatly when I was dismissed, and whose ongoing support I appreciate.”
Khawaja, who has consistently spoken out on global human rights issues, particularly the humanitarian crisis in Gaza, has previously worn a black armband during the Perth Test and attempted to wear shoes bearing the messages “freedom is a human right” and “all lives matter” during the Boxing Day Test against Pakistan. However, both Cricket Australia and the International Cricket Council (ICC) barred him from doing so.
Speaking about the controversy, Khawaja said, “It’s just a little bit disappointing. I don’t really see the controversy in saying ‘all lives matter’ or ‘freedom is a human right’. I find it hard to accept that people find those words distasteful.”
Reflecting on his stance, he added, “It’s been a bit of an emotional rollercoaster… but I’ll always stand up for what I believe in, even if people don’t agree with me. I want to look back on my career and say I stood by my values—not just for what I did on the field, but for what I stood for off it. That means more to me.”
Let the Truth be known. If you read VB and like VB, please be a VB Supporter and Help us deliver the Truth to one and all.
Pune (PTI): NCP (SP) president Sharad Pawar was admitted to a private hospital in Pune on Sunday after suffering from mild dehydration, doctors said.
The condition of the 85-year-old Rajya Sabha member was stable, they said.
"He has been admitted to the Ruby Hall Clinic for mild dehydration and requires intravenous fluids. His condition is stable. He will remain in the hospital for two days and is expected to be discharged thereafter," Dr Purvez Grant, chief cardiologist and chairman and managing trustee of the hospital, said in a statement.
Dr Grant and Dr Abhijit Lodha, consultant physician at the hospital, were supervising his treatment.
Earlier, the former Union minister was admitted to the same hospital on February 9 following a chest infection and was discharged on February 14.
