London: West Indies' all-rounder Andre Russell was on Monday ruled out of the ongoing 2019 ICC Cricket World Cup owing to a hamstring injury. He will now be replaced by 26-year-old batsman Sunil Ambris and will join up with his team in preparation for his side's match against India at Old Trafford on Thursday.
Russell, 31, had taken five wickets in four games but was seen struggling with a knee problem.
Russell had a brilliant IPL 2019 season with Kolkata Knight Riders but failed to replicate the show in England.
Following his spectacular show with the bat in the IPL earlier this year, Russell was included in the Caribbean squad for the World Cup.
Ambris has featured in six ODIs and averages 105.33. He has a hundred and a half-century fifty to his name in the 50-over format.
On Saturday, West Indies lost to New Zealand by five runs in a nail-biting contest.
A magnificent 148 from Kiwi skipper Williamson and a brilliant bowling spell of 4-30 from Trent Boult looked to be going in vain as Windies all-rounder Carlos Brathwaite produced a devastating display of hitting for 101 off 82 balls.
Needing six off seven balls with one wicket in hand, Brathwaite was caught on the boundary by Boult as the Black Caps registered their fifth win of the tournament.
Chasing 292, Chris Gayle made 87 at the top of their innings, but a middle-order collapse undid much of the early good work. Brathwaite almost saved the day but was seen dropping to his knees in distress as the Kiwi players comforted him after he got out.
West Indies skipper Jason Holder admitted that it was a tough game for them. "It was a tough game at the very end, but I'm proud of the guys, especially Carlos, who had a good innings. Chris had a good knock that really set the tone for us. It's pretty tough but there are still a lot of positives.”
After managing only one win from their six games, the West Indies have a very slim chance of making it to the semi-finals of the showpiece event.
Let the Truth be known. If you read VB and like VB, please be a VB Supporter and Help us deliver the Truth to one and all.
Guwahati(PTI): Assam Chief Minister Himanta Biswa Sarma on Friday said he felt "ashamed" that an MP from his state had asserted in Parliament during the Waqf Bill debate that Muslims were not allowed to offer Eid prayers on streets, and issued an apology.
''The people of Assam also do not want to offer 'namaz' on streets when there are beautiful and good mosques in the state'', the CM said at a press conference after a cabinet meeting.
Sarma was apparently referring to Congress MP Gaurav Gogoi, though he did not name him directly.
Gogoi, during the debate, had criticised the government for allegedly preventing Muslims from offering Eid prayers on streets, questioning the BJP’s commitment to minority rights
''People from across the country are calling me about it. We are ashamed and I as the CM apologise to people across the country'', Sarma said.
There has been no demand from Muslims that they want to offer prayers on roads, he added.
He further alleged that the MP’s remarks created the impression that only one community contributed to India’s freedom struggle.
''This MP went to the extreme of highlighting only one community’s role. There was no mention of Mahatma Gandhi, Gopinath Bordoloi, Subhas Chandra Bose, or other key figures," Sarma said.
Replying to a question on the BJP's prospects in the forthcoming panchayat polls scheduled to be held in two phases on May 2 and 7, Sarma said, ''It will be good in all the elections- panchayat, Rabha Hasong Council, Bodoland Territorial Council and assembly polls as the people of Assam have immense faith and confidence in Prime Minister Narendra Modi."
"It is only the extreme statements made by a particular MP from Assam in Parliament which has made us sad and we are feeling ashamed about it'', he added.
People of Assam will ''teach a lesson to such people when the time comes'', the CM said.