Gaza: Hamas on Tuesday accused Israeli authorities of subjecting Palestinians returning to Gaza through the Rafah crossing to mistreatment, abuse and extortion, describing the alleged actions as collective punishment rather than routine border procedures.

In a statement, the Palestinian group claimed that testimonies from travellers pointed to practices such as the detention of women, blindfolding, prolonged interrogations, threats involving children and attempts to coerce individuals into collaboration. Hamas said these actions were intended to instil fear and discourage Palestinians from returning to their homes, and called on international human rights organisations to document the alleged violations, as reported by AL Jazeera.

The allegations come amid continued uncertainty over the functioning of the Rafah crossing, which reopened on Monday after nearly two years of closure. According to reports, around 135 Palestinians have reached the crossing seeking permission to travel abroad for urgent medical treatment, though only a small number have been allowed to exit so far.

On the first day of reopening, Israel permitted only five critically ill patients to cross into Egypt. On Tuesday, a limited number of additional patients were reportedly allowed to leave, while the return of Palestinians to Gaza has also remained slow and unclear.

The International Committee of the Red Cross has expressed concern over the lack of clarity surrounding the crossing’s operations. ICRC spokesperson Pat Griffiths said the uncertainty was compounding the suffering of Palestinians who have already endured prolonged trauma, noting that many expressed a desire to return to normal life despite understanding that recovery would take considerable time.

Journalists reporting from southern Gaza told Al Jazeera that families were anxiously waiting for relatives separated for years, with little information on who would be allowed to cross or return. Restrictions at the crossing, including limits on personal belongings and lengthy screening processes, have further added to delays.

Let the Truth be known. If you read VB and like VB, please be a VB Supporter and Help us deliver the Truth to one and all.



New Delhi (PTI): Security was tightened across key religious and heritage sites in Delhi on Saturday, including areas around the Red Fort and parts of Chandni Chowk, following intelligence inputs suggesting a possible terror threat, an official said.

Security agencies issued an alert on a possible explosion threat near Red Fort, a major tourist destination and high-security zone, after Central intelligence agencies indicated that Pakistan-based terror outfit Lashkar-e-Taiba (LeT) has allegedly kept prominent religious places in India on its target list.

Sources said specific inputs suggested that a temple in the Chandni Chowk area could be among the potential targets.

ALSO READ:  Artificial intelligence, hologram tech bring 'Arjuna', 'Lord Krishna' at AI Summit

While the intelligence inputs are being verified and assessed, security has been stepped up in and around sensitive religious places and crowded public areas, they added.

Intelligence agencies indicated that LeT could be attempting to carry out an Improvised Explosive Device (IED)-based attack. The alleged plan is reportedly linked to attempts by the terror group to avenge the February 6 blast at a mosque in Islamabad, Pakistan, sources said.

Central agencies and Delhi Police units are maintaining close coordination, and surveillance has been intensified through CCTV monitoring, vehicle checks and deployment of additional personnel at vulnerable points. Bomb disposal squads, dog squads and quick reaction teams have also been placed on standby at strategic locations, they added.

The alert comes in the backdrop of the deadly car explosion near the historic Red Fort on November 10, 2025, which killed at least 13 people and injured more than 20 others. The blast occurred when a car loaded with explosives detonated near Gate No 1 of the Red Fort metro station, igniting multiple vehicles nearby and causing panic in the densely populated area.

Security agencies have urged people to remain vigilant and immediately inform police or emergency services about any suspicious objects or activity. However, officials said there is no cause for panic and that the measures are precautionary in nature.

Further intelligence gathering and verification of inputs are underway, an official said.