Washington : In a surprise move, State Department spokesperson Heather Nauert withdrew her nomination to replace Indian-American Nikki Haley as the top US diplomat at the United Nations, amid criticism by Democrats for her lack of diplomatic experience.
Nauert, 48, a former Fox News anchor, issued a statement on Saturday citing family reasons for her decision.
"I am grateful to President (Donald) Trump and Secretary (Mike) Pompeo for the trust they placed in me for considering me for the position of US Ambassador to the United Nations," Nauert said.
"However, the past two months have been gruelling for my family and therefore it is in the best interest of my family that I withdraw my name from consideration, she said.
Nauret said her two years with the administration had been "one of the highest honours of my life and I will always be grateful to the President, the Secretary, and my colleagues at the State Department for their support .
State Department Deputy Spokesperson Robert Palladino said President Trump will make an announcement about a new nominee soon.
Pompeo said she had performed her duties as a senior member of his team "with unequalled excellence".
"Her personal decision today to withdraw her name from consideration to become the nominee for United States Ambassador to the United Nations is a decision for which I have great respect, Pompeo said.
President Trump nominated Nauert for the top diplomatic position at the UN in November, weeks after Haley announced her resignation Senators from the opposition Democratic party raised questions over her qualification as the top US diplomat to the United Nations.
In the past, the position was held by some of the top American political leaders and diplomats including former president George H W Bush.
"She has no foreign policy experience that I can deduce, and being a spokesperson is different than being the chief diplomat of the United States at a world body like the UN," Senator Bob Menendez, Ranking Member at the Senate Foreign Relations Committee, had said.
Many of her supporters argued she's more than qualified for the role, noting her practice in messaging the Trump administration's foreign policy for nearly two years.
Let the Truth be known. If you read VB and like VB, please be a VB Supporter and Help us deliver the Truth to one and all.
Hassan: A father and his six-year-old son were killed in a tragic road accident between a car and a motorcycle near Devegowda Nagar at Bittagoudanahalli in Hassan city.
The deceased have been identified as Jayanna (38) and his son Mithun Rai (6), residents of Gorur. Jayanna’s wife Rajini and another son Milan sustained serious injuries in the accident and are undergoing treatment at a hospital. Their condition is said to be critical.
According to reports, Jayanna had come to Hassan along with his family to attend a programme. The accident occurred while they were returning to Gorur on a motorcycle after the event.
Police said the car, which was travelling towards Hassan from the Arakalagudu side, reportedly lost control while attempting to overtake another vehicle and crashed head-on into the motorcycle coming from the opposite direction.
The impact of the collision killed six-year-old Mithun Rai on the spot. Jayanna, who suffered severe injuries, was rushed to hospital but later succumbed despite treatment.
On receiving information, Hassan Traffic Police Station personnel visited the spot and registered a case in this regard.
