Moscow, Nov 26: At least 52 people died in a fire at a coal mine in Russia's Siberia on Thursday.

Authorities said 52 miners were found dead and six rescuers also died later while searching for others who were trapped at a remote section of the mine. Regional officials declared three days of mourning for the victims.

Efforts to rescue those trapped in the mine about 250 metres (820 feet) undeground were halted on Thursday afternoon because of an explosion threat, and rescuers were rushed out of the mine.

The Interfax news agency reported that miners have oxygen supplies normally lasting for six hours that could be stretched for a few more hours but would have expired by late hours Thursday anyway.

Nearly 50 other miners were injured.

A total of 285 people were in the Listvyazhnaya mine in the Kemerovo region in southwestern Siberia when the fire erupted and smoke quickly filled the mine through the ventilation system.

Russia's Investigative Committee has launched a criminal probe into the fire on charges of violating safety regulations that led to deaths.

President Vladimir Putin extended his condolences to the families of the killed miners and ordered the government to offer all necessary assistance to those who were injured.

Speaking at a meeting with his Serbian counterpart Aleksandar Vucic in the Russian Black Sea resort of Sochi, Putin noted that there is a danger to the life of the rescuers and voiced hope that they will manage to save as many people as possible.

In 2016, 36 miners were killed in a series of methane explosions in a coal mine in Russia's far north. In the wake of the incident, authorities analysed the safety of the country's 58 coal mines and declared 20 of them or 34% potentially unsafe.

The Listvyazhnaya mine wasn't among them at the time, according to media reports.

Russia's state technology and ecology watchdog, Rostekhnadzor, inspected the mine in April and registered 139 violations, including breaching fire safety regulations.

Another inspection of the mine was conducted Friday, but its conclusions weren't immediately reported.

Let the Truth be known. If you read VB and like VB, please be a VB Supporter and Help us deliver the Truth to one and all.



Bengaluru, Nov 30: Karnataka logged 291 new COVID-19 cases and eight deaths on Tuesday, taking the total number of infections to 29,96,148 and the toll to 38,211.

The day also saw 745 discharges, taking the total number of recoveries in the state so far to 29,51,492, a health department bulletin said. Bengaluru Urban continued to top the list in number of cases (185), as the city saw 654 discharges and 6 deaths.

The total number of active cases is now 6,416.

While the positivity rate for the day stood at 0.47 per cent, the Case Fatality Rate (CFR) was 2.74 per cent.

Behind Bengaluru Urban in number of deaths was Bidar and Mysuru, with one each.

Among the districts where the new cases were reported, Bengaluru Urban accounted for 185, Mysuru 28, Dakshina Kannada 19, Dharwad 9, followed by others.

Bengaluru Urban district headed the list of positive cases with a total of 12,56,452, followed by Mysuru 1,79,771 and Tumakuru 1,21,095.

Among discharges too, Bengaluru Urban was on top with 12,35,281, followed by Mysuru 1,77,102 and Tumakuru 1,19,830.

Cumulatively a total of 5,32,89,808 samples have been tested in the state so far, out of which 61,804 were done on Tuesday alone.

To view today's health bulletin: CLICK HERE