Southport, UK:  A far-right mob rioted outside a mosque in Southport on Tuesday, setting a police van on fire following a misinformation campaign that falsely claimed the 17-year-old suspect in a recent fatal stabbing was a Muslim.

The rioters, chanting racist and Islamophobic slogans such as “English till I die,” pelted stones, bricks, and bins at riot police. The Southport Islamic Society Mosque sustained damage during the unrest.

The violence erupted after a vigil was held to remember the victims of a knife attack at a Taylor Swift-themed dance class on Monday. The attack resulted in the deaths of three children: Alice Dasilva Aguiar, nine, Bebe King, six, and Elsie Dot Stancombe, seven. Eight other children and two adults suffered stab wounds, with five children remaining in critical condition.

According to BBC News, the 17-year-old suspect, who cannot be legally identified due to his age, was born in Cardiff to Rwandan parents and moved to Southport in 2013. Despite these facts, a massive misinformation campaign falsely claimed the suspect was a Muslim, leading to the violent backlash.

Muslim groups in the UK condemned the attack. The Muslim Association of Britain stated, “Weaponising the tragic killings of innocent children in such an overt display of Islamophobia is horrific.”

UK Prime Minister Keir Starmer denounced the violence, stating, “Those who have hijacked the vigil for the victims with violence and thuggery have insulted the community as it grieves. They will feel the full force of the law,” he posted on X (formerly Twitter).

Merseyside Police condemned the violence, reporting that one officer suffered a suspected broken nose. Photos and videos on social media showed riot police with cuts and grazes following clashes with the mob.

“At around 7.45 pm, a large group of people – believed to be supporters of the English Defence League – began to throw items towards a local mosque on St Luke’s Road in Southport,” the police stated.

Misinformation expert Marc Owen Jones reported that posts speculating or falsely claiming the attacker was a Muslim, migrant, refugee, or foreigner generated at least 27 million impressions. Several major social media accounts, including influencer Andrew Tate, also propagated the false claim that the attacker was an illegal immigrant.

The North West Ambulance Service reported that 39 police officers were injured during the unrest, which occurred just hours after the vigil for the knife attack victims.

Let the Truth be known. If you read VB and like VB, please be a VB Supporter and Help us deliver the Truth to one and all.



Mathura(UP), Apr 5 (PTI): A retired Army colonel from Haryana has filed a police complaint here, alleging that he was held hostage, assaulted, looted and forced to participate in an "obscene video" at gunpoint with a woman he met through a matrimonial website, police said on Saturday.

The woman from Mathura, who was allegedly in on the plan to rob him, was working with other accomplices, the ex-armyman said in his complaint filed on Thursday.

According to Barsana Station House Officer (SHO) Raj Kamal Singh, Colonel Rajneesh Soni (retired), a resident of Gurugram, reported that he was contacted by a woman from Barsana on a matrimonial website in January. The woman allegedly agreed to marry him, and they began communicating.

The woman allegedly persuaded the colonel to visit Barsana on January 25, requesting that he visit the Radharani temple. When he arrived, she arranged for his stay at a guest house and took him on a tour of the area, including a visit to the temple, the complainant said.

After returning to the guest house, the woman and her accomplices allegedly told the colonel that her brother had been involved in an accident and they needed to leave immediately. They then led him to a waiting car.

"Once outside the town limits, the colonel alleges that he was attacked by the occupants of the car. They seized his phone, physically assaulted him, and forced him to contact relatives and friends to transfer money," the SHO said.

"He was then taken back to the guest house, where he was allegedly forced to participate in obscene videos and photographs at gunpoint. He was threatened that the videos would be made public if he reported the incident," the officer said.

The colonel has alleged that his purse, bag, gold chain, debit card and Rs. 12,000 in cash were stolen from the guest house.

After an unsuccessful attempt at locating the perpetrators himself, the colonel finally reported the incident to the Barsana police two days ago, he said.

"A case has been registered under relevant sections of the BNS and all facts are being investigated. Further action will be taken as per facts found in the investigation," the SHO said.