Bengaluru, Oct 9: The Karnataka Assembly proceedings will now be shown through the lens of Doordarshan and not private news channels.

The state assembly secretariat has entrusted Doordarshan alone to cover the assembly proceedings.

According to an Assembly secretariat order, still cameras, mobile phones or even tablets are also not allowed inside the assembly.

The Congress and JDS have slammed the move.

Private news channels can link themselves to Doordarshan if they wish to show happenings inside the House.

As the matter kicked up a storm that the government is "restricting" TV crews from covering proceedings, Assembly secretary M K Vishalakshi clarified that there was no restriction as such.

"Don't call it restriction. On an experimental basis, Speaker (Vishweshwar Hegde Kageri) is making arrangements to provide link to everyone (news channels) through Doordarshan.

It will start from tomorrow," Vishalakshi told PTI.

"Media can still take the soundbytes," she added.

The arrangement will come into effect from Thursday when the three-day assembly session starts.

JD(S) leader H D Kumaraswamy alleged that such a move was recommended by the police department when he was the chief minister.

"Police department had recommended not to allow private news channels to cover the proceedings of the assembly but I did not agree," Kumaraswamy told reporters.

The congress described the move as a "shameful act."

"While in opposition BJP used to shed crocodile tears for Free media.. @BSYBJP had threatened to go on dharna for freedom of press.

When in power media has been barred from streaming the assembly session, such a shameful act," the Karnataka unit of the congress tweeted.

Newly appointed leader of the opposition in the state assembly and former chief minister Siddaramaiah condemned the decision.

"... In case speaker feels that journalists are misusing the liberty, the rules of the House should be modified and not bring in a complete ban," Siddaramaiah tweeted.

Let the Truth be known. If you read VB and like VB, please be a VB Supporter and Help us deliver the Truth to one and all.



Ranchi, Oct 18: Having lost nine successive tosses in Asia, an exasperated South Africa captain Faf du Plessis won't mind sending "someone else" in his place for the toss of the coin in the third and final Test against India, beginning here Saturday.

South Africa have struggled in Indian conditions and not winning the toss in the first two Tests has only made things tougher for them. Opting to bat in Visakhapatnam and Pune, India put up 500-plus totals to virtually bat the visitors out of the game.

"We really want to make sure that we compete with this team in their own conditions. We have done it in stages in the first Test. So, hoping that we can start with the toss tomorrow.

"Probably we will change... send someone else to the toss tomorrow. I can give you that... because my records so far has not been great," said du Plessis, in a lighter vein, on the eve of the game.

Du Plesiss said "anything is possible" if his side get to bat first.

"If you put big runs in the first innings, that's where it need to stop. Then anything from there is possible. Hopefully that will unfold in the next couple of days and hopefully we can put some runs on.

"The pitch looks a little bit drier and crustier so first innings runs will be vital and then anything from there is possible in the second innings," the South African skipper added.