Belthangady: In a major development in the Dharmasthala case involving the burial of bodies at multiple sites, activist Jayant T of the Sowjanya Justice Campaign has reportedly received copies of certain parts of the report submitted by the Special Investigation Team (SIT) probing the case.

The SIT submitted its 3,923-page report to the Belthangady court on Saturday, December 20, and the court is learnt to have handed over around 1,100 pages of the report to Jayant.

ALSO READ: Karnataka records 14,087 out-of-school children; ranks third in South India

In its report, the SIT had sought judicial permission to initiate action against six people, including Sowjanya Justice Campaign activist Mahesh Shetty Thimarody. The SIT had also reportedly urged the court not to disclose the information contained in the report.

Jayant had earlier filed a plea before the Belthangady court seeking a copy of the SIT report. After the plea was rejected, senior advocate Dorairaju from Bengaluru argued on Jayant’s behalf before the court. Following this, the court agreed on Friday to provide Jayant with copies of certain portions of the report.

According to sources, the court has handed Jayant only the copies of statements made by him and others before the court. Other confidential material collected by the SIT, as well as statements recorded by the court from the primary accused, Chinnayya, have been withheld.

Let the Truth be known. If you read VB and like VB, please be a VB Supporter and Help us deliver the Truth to one and all.



Bengaluru: The Holy month of Ramadan will start from Thursday, February 19, announced convener of the State Moon Sighting Committee Maulana Maqsood Imran Rashadi on Wednesday.

Speaking at a press conference after the Moon Sighting Committee meeting held at the State Waqf Board office on Cunningham Road in the city on Wednesday evening, he said that there is no information about moon sighting anywhere in the capital Bengaluru, including other districts.

“However, after receiving reports of moon sightings in neighbouring states including Andhra Pradesh, Telangana, Bihar, Odisha, Jharkhand, West Bengal, Rajasthan and Delhi, it has been decided to start fasting from Thursday,” he said.

The meeting was attended by Maulana Mufti Iftikhar Ahmed Qasmi, Maulana Ejaz Ahmed Nadvi and other members of the ulema.