Mangaluru, July 16: In a fresh development in the ongoing Dharmasthala mass burial case, Dakshina Kannada Superintendent of Police Dr Arun K has issued a formal statement responding to the latest allegations, clearing the air on the current status of the investigation and detailing the legal steps being followed.

One of the most striking parts of the statement is the police’s concern that the witness complainant whose revelations have triggered this high-profile case might go into hiding once the grave-digging process is completed. The SP confirmed that this possibility has been flagged by local sources and conveyed to the lawyers representing the witness. He said that authorities are taking this concern seriously and are examining it closely as it could have significant implications for the investigation’s credibility and outcome.

“Local sources have reportedly tipped off the police about the possibility that the witness-complainant might abscond after the exhumation process is completed. There are growing concerns that the urgency being shown in pushing for grave digging without following proper legal procedures could be linked to this suspicion,” the SP stated in the press statement.

The SP’s remarks come at a time when the complainant’s lawyers have accused the police of delaying exhumation of human remains despite the witness's cooperation and submission of skeletal fragments. Responding to these accusations, the SP clarified that any exhumation will take place only when the investigating officer deems it necessary and legally appropriate. He stressed that the process will strictly follow legal protocol and cannot be rushed under pressure.

The case, which has caught attention across Karnataka and even nationally, revolves around explosive claims made by a former sanitation worker who alleged that he was forced to bury several bodies in and around Dharmasthala village many years ago. Earlier this month, he appeared before a magistrate and submitted skeletal remains as initial evidence, which has since been sent for forensic analysis.

In his statement, the SP also revealed that the police team has learned recently that a petition connected to this case has already been filed before the Hon’ble Supreme Court. However, this critical piece of information was not shared with the investigation team by the complainant or his legal counsel. The police are now in the process of verifying the nature and relevance of this petition to the current investigation. The SP added that the police should have been informed about such a significant legal step, especially as it may have implications on the ongoing proceedings.

Another major point addressed was the police’s formal request to the court seeking permission to conduct forensic tests on the witness-complainant. The SP said a report has been submitted seeking court approval for brain mapping, fingerprint analysis, and narco analysis. These procedures, however, will only be undertaken if the complainant gives his written consent.

Get all the latest, breaking news from Mangaluru and Dakshina Kannada in a single click. CLICK HERE to get all the latest news from Mangaluru.

Let the Truth be known. If you read VB and like VB, please be a VB Supporter and Help us deliver the Truth to one and all.



Chennai (PTI): Afghanistan skipper Rashid Khan called for more bilateral series against stronger cricketing nations after his team signed off from the T20 World Cup on a high, defeating Canada in their final group match here on Thursday.

Afghanistan played some exhilarating cricket, going down to South Africa in a gripping second Super Over after the scores were tied, a humdinger that provided one of the early thrills of the World Cup.

However, the spin-bowling stalwart said Afghanistan could make significant strides if they get regular opportunities to compete against stronger cricketing nations.

"Couple of areas to improve, with the batting, the middle order got a bit stuck against the big teams, and then with the bowling the death overs. That comes when you play the bigger teams in bilateral series," said Rashid after his team defeat Canada by 82 runs, with him returning excellent figures of 2 for 19.

The stalwart said the side had arrived well prepared for the tournament and produced some breathtaking cricket, but admitted the narrow defeat to South Africa proved costly and remained a painful setback.

"We were well-prepared (for the tournament), we played some unbelievable cricket. The game against South Africa, that really hurt everyone. We had to win one of those (first two) games and see how the tournament unfolded. We'll take some positive things from this World Cup and look forward," he said.

With head coach Jonathan Trott set to part ways with the team, Rashid described the departure as an "emotional" moment for the side.

"I think we had some wonderful times with him. Where we are now, he played a main role. It's emotional to see him leave us, but that's how life is. We wish him all the best and somewhere down the line we see him again."

Ibrahim Zadran, who was named Player of the Match for his unbeaten 95 off 56 balls, said it was satisfying to finally register a substantial score after two below-par outings.

"I enjoyed it, didn't play better cricket in first two innings, which I expect. Wanted to back my skills, really enjoyed it. Pressure was there, it's there all the time. I want to put myself in pressure situations and enjoy it," said Zadran.

"Wanted to play positive cricket, rotate strike and punish bad ball, create partnerships and this is what I have done."