Mangaluru: In a significant development that ties into the ongoing Dharmasthala mass burial case, Sujatha Bhat — the mother of missing MBBS student Ananya Bhat, has approached the Dakshina Kannada Superintendent of Police, seeking a fresh investigation into her daughter’s mysterious disappearance in 2003.

Ananya Bhat, then a young medical student, had gone missing during a visit to the Dharmasthala temple. Despite repeated efforts and inquiries over the past 22 years, her family has received no clarity or closure on her whereabouts.

Now, amid explosive revelations surrounding the alleged mass burials in Dharmasthala, Sujaata Bhat has formally submitted a complaint to the SP, urging authorities to reinvestigate her daughter’s disappearance amidst the newly surfaced claims of unreported burials. She was accompanied by her advocate during the meeting.

Police officials have confirmed receipt of the complaint and stated that further action is likely as part of a renewed investigation.

The case took a sensational turn earlier this month when a man who had worked as a sanitation worker in Dharmasthala claimed to have buried hundreds of dead bodies under pressure. He initially submitted a written statement to the Dakshina Kannada SP and, a few days later, appeared before a Belthangady court, where he gave a formal testimony before the magistrate. During his court appearance, he also brought with him a human skeleton which he claimed he exhumed from the site of burial he used before moving into hiding. The skeleton has now been sent for forensic analysis.

The man reportedly told the court that he had buried bodies in several undisclosed locations around Dharmasthala and expressed willingness to identify those sites if the police conduct an investigation. Following this, two lawyers representing him have formally demanded the formation of a Special Investigation Team (SIT) to probe the alleged murders and illegal burials.

His confession and the shocking nature of the allegations have triggered a state-wide and national-level debate, raising serious questions about how unidentified deaths and disappearances in Dharmasthala have been handled over the years.

Sujatha Bhat’s renewed plea has now brought Ananya’s two-decade-old missing case back into the spotlight, with concerns growing over whether her disappearance was one of many such neglected or possibly connected incidents.

This is the first time in years that Ananya’s family has formally approached the police again, hopeful that the current momentum might finally lead them to the truth. 

Let the Truth be known. If you read VB and like VB, please be a VB Supporter and Help us deliver the Truth to one and all.



Chennai (PTI): Afghanistan skipper Rashid Khan called for more bilateral series against stronger cricketing nations after his team signed off from the T20 World Cup on a high, defeating Canada in their final group match here on Thursday.

Afghanistan played some exhilarating cricket, going down to South Africa in a gripping second Super Over after the scores were tied, a humdinger that provided one of the early thrills of the World Cup.

However, the spin-bowling stalwart said Afghanistan could make significant strides if they get regular opportunities to compete against stronger cricketing nations.

"Couple of areas to improve, with the batting, the middle order got a bit stuck against the big teams, and then with the bowling the death overs. That comes when you play the bigger teams in bilateral series," said Rashid after his team defeat Canada by 82 runs, with him returning excellent figures of 2 for 19.

The stalwart said the side had arrived well prepared for the tournament and produced some breathtaking cricket, but admitted the narrow defeat to South Africa proved costly and remained a painful setback.

"We were well-prepared (for the tournament), we played some unbelievable cricket. The game against South Africa, that really hurt everyone. We had to win one of those (first two) games and see how the tournament unfolded. We'll take some positive things from this World Cup and look forward," he said.

With head coach Jonathan Trott set to part ways with the team, Rashid described the departure as an "emotional" moment for the side.

"I think we had some wonderful times with him. Where we are now, he played a main role. It's emotional to see him leave us, but that's how life is. We wish him all the best and somewhere down the line we see him again."

Ibrahim Zadran, who was named Player of the Match for his unbeaten 95 off 56 balls, said it was satisfying to finally register a substantial score after two below-par outings.

"I enjoyed it, didn't play better cricket in first two innings, which I expect. Wanted to back my skills, really enjoyed it. Pressure was there, it's there all the time. I want to put myself in pressure situations and enjoy it," said Zadran.

"Wanted to play positive cricket, rotate strike and punish bad ball, create partnerships and this is what I have done."