Mangaluru: The Dakshina Kannada District Railway Users Forum has launched a petition campaign demanding the restoration of the Mangaluru Central–Shri Mata Vaishno Devi Katra Navyug Express (Train No. 16687/88), the only direct train linking Mangaluru to Jammu & Kashmir. The train service, which was suspended during the COVID-19 pandemic, has not been reinstated, leaving lakhs of passengers from Coastal Karnataka and other parts of South India without direct rail access to North India.

The Forum has urged the Indian Railways to restart the service with a new route via Hassan, Hubballi, Belagavi, Miraj, and Pune. They argue this will significantly benefit students, pilgrims, defence personnel, traders, and the general public.

Earlier, Navyug Express functioned as a slip coach service, with 12 coaches originating from Mangaluru that joined another rake from Tirunelveli to form the complete train. However, post-COVID, only the Tirunelveli-Katra section was retained, and the Mangaluru-originating portion was discontinued. The Railways claimed the Mangaluru leg was merely a “slip” and dropped it altogether—an explanation that the Forum has condemned as unfair.

Anil Hegde, president of the Railway Users Forum, said, “The Navyug Express previously ran through Kerala, which increased travel time. Diverting it via Hassan and Arsikere will be more efficient. Moreover, with the cancellation of the Mangaluru–Miraj Mahalakshmi Express, there is a connectivity gap that the Navyug Express can fill.”

He added that this revised route would also provide long-awaited direct connectivity for pilgrims visiting religious sites like Subrahmanya and Dharmasthala. “Many devotees travel from North India to these sites, but there is currently no direct train service. This train will also serve the large North Indian workforce residing in Puttur, Subrahmanya, and Bantwal,” Hegde explained.

Additionally, the proposal seeks to offer an alternative link to Pune and Delhi from Mangaluru, thereby improving regional rail accessibility. Hegde pointed out that while trains like the Ernakulam–Pune Poorna Express and Ernakulam–Pune Express take different routes, the Navyug Express, if restored via the proposed alignment, would benefit passengers in Hassan, Arsikere, and Puttur en route to Pune.

Separate railway division

The Forum president further emphasized the need to upgrade Mangaluru into an independent railway division. “Mangaluru has the infrastructure and passenger traffic to justify division status. If implemented, it would resolve several long-pending local issues, including language barriers with Malayalam-speaking staff at local stations,” Hegde said.

While acknowledging recent improvements at Mangaluru railway stations, he called for more services connecting Mangaluru to other regions of Karnataka and the rest of India.

Hegde also stated that there have been a lot of developments in Mangaluru stations, however he demanded that more services should start between Mangaluru and the rest parts of Karnataka. He proposed that new trains be introduced on the Mangaluru–Ahmedabad, Mangaluru–Delhi, and Mangaluru–Bandra Terminus routes.

The Forum has appealed to the public to support their petition, which can be signed online at: https://chng.it/ZHyVGkdqFs.

Let the Truth be known. If you read VB and like VB, please be a VB Supporter and Help us deliver the Truth to one and all.



Chennai (PTI): Afghanistan skipper Rashid Khan called for more bilateral series against stronger cricketing nations after his team signed off from the T20 World Cup on a high, defeating Canada in their final group match here on Thursday.

Afghanistan played some exhilarating cricket, going down to South Africa in a gripping second Super Over after the scores were tied, a humdinger that provided one of the early thrills of the World Cup.

However, the spin-bowling stalwart said Afghanistan could make significant strides if they get regular opportunities to compete against stronger cricketing nations.

"Couple of areas to improve, with the batting, the middle order got a bit stuck against the big teams, and then with the bowling the death overs. That comes when you play the bigger teams in bilateral series," said Rashid after his team defeat Canada by 82 runs, with him returning excellent figures of 2 for 19.

The stalwart said the side had arrived well prepared for the tournament and produced some breathtaking cricket, but admitted the narrow defeat to South Africa proved costly and remained a painful setback.

"We were well-prepared (for the tournament), we played some unbelievable cricket. The game against South Africa, that really hurt everyone. We had to win one of those (first two) games and see how the tournament unfolded. We'll take some positive things from this World Cup and look forward," he said.

With head coach Jonathan Trott set to part ways with the team, Rashid described the departure as an "emotional" moment for the side.

"I think we had some wonderful times with him. Where we are now, he played a main role. It's emotional to see him leave us, but that's how life is. We wish him all the best and somewhere down the line we see him again."

Ibrahim Zadran, who was named Player of the Match for his unbeaten 95 off 56 balls, said it was satisfying to finally register a substantial score after two below-par outings.

"I enjoyed it, didn't play better cricket in first two innings, which I expect. Wanted to back my skills, really enjoyed it. Pressure was there, it's there all the time. I want to put myself in pressure situations and enjoy it," said Zadran.

"Wanted to play positive cricket, rotate strike and punish bad ball, create partnerships and this is what I have done."