London, Aug 7 (PTI): An Indian-origin nurse who has been working in Ireland for eight years is distraught after her six-year-old daughter was attacked by a group of boys while she played outside her home in the city of Waterford.
Anupa Achuthan, originally from Kerala and now an Irish citizen, says her Ireland-born daughter Nia Naveen was assaulted and told to “go back to India” in an attack earlier this week.
It comes as Irish Police (Gardai) said investigations are ongoing into the incident as well as an Indian-origin hotel worker targeted in a violent robbery in the capital Dublin.
"One of her friends said a gang of boys older than them hit her on the private parts with a cycle, and five of them punched her on her face... They said the F word and 'Dirty Indian, go back to India',” Achuthan told the ‘Irish Mirror’, recounting the attack which occurred on Monday evening.
Her daughter later told her that the boys, aged between eight and 14, punched her neck and twisted her hair.
"I feel so sad for her. I could not protect her. I never expected that such an incident would happen. I thought she would be safe here,” said Achuthan.
The nurse had moved from Dublin to a new Waterford home with her husband, daughter and 10-month-old boy earlier this year.
"Gardaí responded to report of an alleged assault in the Kilbarry area of Waterford city on the evening of Monday 4th August 2025. Investigations are ongoing,” the local police said in a statement.
On Wednesday morning, an Indian-origin man employed at a hotel in Dublin was attacked by three suspects. His phone and electric bike were stolen. He was taken to the city's St. Vincent’s University Hospital with injuries sustained in the attack.
Local police said they are looking into these reports, with Indian community groups in Ireland expressing concern at the lack of arrests following a recent spate of attacks on people of Indian heritage.
Earlier, violent assaults involving Lakhvir Singh, a taxi driver in his 40s, and entrepreneur and AI expert Dr Santosh Yadav followed an Indian Embassy advisory urging Indian citizens to take safety precautions.
“There has been an increase in the instances of physical attacks reported against Indian citizens in Ireland recently. The embassy is in touch with the authorities concerned in Ireland in this regard. At the same time, all Indian citizens in Ireland are advised to take reasonable precautions for their personal security and avoid deserted areas, especially in odd hours,” reads the advisory.
It came in the wake of a brutal attack on a 40-year-old Indian man at Parkhill Road in the Tallaght suburb of Dublin on July 19, described as “mindless, racist violence” by locals.
“The people of Ireland stand with the Indian community and will continue to stand firmly against racism in all its forms,” the Irish Embassy in New Delhi said in a social media statement this week.
Ireland’s Social Democrats Member of Parliament Jennifer Whitmore took to Instagram to share an open letter from an Indian nurse based in Dublin, who said he and his wife – also a nurse – plan to leave Ireland as they fear for the safety of their children.
"I love Ireland, I'm proud of our culture… But over the last few years, I’m seeing a side of us that I don't like… that racist attacks are on the rise, that friends of mine who have darker skin are afraid to walk alone,” writes Whitmore, who blamed the incidents on a “small minority of toxic individuals”.
Let the Truth be known. If you read VB and like VB, please be a VB Supporter and Help us deliver the Truth to one and all.
Chennai (PTI): Afghanistan skipper Rashid Khan called for more bilateral series against stronger cricketing nations after his team signed off from the T20 World Cup on a high, defeating Canada in their final group match here on Thursday.
Afghanistan played some exhilarating cricket, going down to South Africa in a gripping second Super Over after the scores were tied, a humdinger that provided one of the early thrills of the World Cup.
However, the spin-bowling stalwart said Afghanistan could make significant strides if they get regular opportunities to compete against stronger cricketing nations.
"Couple of areas to improve, with the batting, the middle order got a bit stuck against the big teams, and then with the bowling the death overs. That comes when you play the bigger teams in bilateral series," said Rashid after his team defeat Canada by 82 runs, with him returning excellent figures of 2 for 19.
The stalwart said the side had arrived well prepared for the tournament and produced some breathtaking cricket, but admitted the narrow defeat to South Africa proved costly and remained a painful setback.
"We were well-prepared (for the tournament), we played some unbelievable cricket. The game against South Africa, that really hurt everyone. We had to win one of those (first two) games and see how the tournament unfolded. We'll take some positive things from this World Cup and look forward," he said.
With head coach Jonathan Trott set to part ways with the team, Rashid described the departure as an "emotional" moment for the side.
"I think we had some wonderful times with him. Where we are now, he played a main role. It's emotional to see him leave us, but that's how life is. We wish him all the best and somewhere down the line we see him again."
Ibrahim Zadran, who was named Player of the Match for his unbeaten 95 off 56 balls, said it was satisfying to finally register a substantial score after two below-par outings.
"I enjoyed it, didn't play better cricket in first two innings, which I expect. Wanted to back my skills, really enjoyed it. Pressure was there, it's there all the time. I want to put myself in pressure situations and enjoy it," said Zadran.
"Wanted to play positive cricket, rotate strike and punish bad ball, create partnerships and this is what I have done."
