Dhaka, Aug 22 (PTI): Bangladesh's interim government on Friday warned media outlets against broadcasting or publicising statements by Awami League leader and deposed premier Sheikh Hasina, saying that instant legal action will be taken against those violating the order.
"We are warning officials of media involved in such criminal dissemination activities and resolutely inform all that if anyone in future circulates Sheikh Hasina's statements, instant legal actions will be taken,” said a statement issued by Chief Adviser Muhammad Yunus’s press wing.
The announcement said the broadcasting and publicity of audio of Hasina on television channels, news and online portals is a "serious violation of the Anti-Terrorism Act 2009".
It described Hasina as "a convicted criminal and fugitive accused of mass killings and crimes against humanity."
Hasina, who was ousted in a street movement on August 5, 2024, is being tried in absentia at the International Crimes Tribunal on several charges. The tribunal, however, has yet to convict her of any of those charges. Hasina's supporters say the charges against her are politically motivated.
In December, the tribunal banned the broadcasting of Hasina's statements.
Noting that some media outlets, defying the law and court orders, broadcast a speech of Hasina on Thursday, the statement said, "At this crucial moment in our nation's history, we cannot take the risk of creating any unnecessary confusion".
"It is important to remember that Sheikh Hasina fled Bangladesh after being accused of ordering the massacre of hundreds of peaceful protesters during the July uprising," it said.
Referring to preparations for holding a free and fair election, it said that the interim government is working to guide Bangladesh towards a future built on justice, accountability, and democratic integrity.
"For the first time in generations, the people of Bangladesh are preparing for truly free and fair elections," it added.
"At such a time, we urge the media outlet to exercise responsibility and restraint in broadcasting Sheikh Hasina's audios or speeches, which are designed to incite instability and violence in Bangladesh," it added.
Earlier this month, Yunus said the elections would be held in February, and the Election Commission subsequently announced that the polls would be held in the first week of February.
Former prime minister Khaleda Zia’s Bangladesh Nationalist Party (BNP) has emerged as the single largest party in Awami League’s absence after Yunus’ government disbanded its activities under an executive order.
An offshoot of Students Against Discrimination (SAD), which led protests against then-premier Sheikh Hasina, formed the National Citizen Party (NCP) in February, apparently with Yunus’ blessings. The NCP is believed to have developed ties with the far-right Jamaat-e-Islami and other Islamist groups against the BNP.
Despite assurances by Yunus and several of his advisers about free and fair polls within the announced deadline, a sense of uncertainty grew among political parties because of the comments and gestures of the NCP.
Let the Truth be known. If you read VB and like VB, please be a VB Supporter and Help us deliver the Truth to one and all.
Bengaluru (PTI): A complaint has been lodged against a city-based dermatologist for allegedly spreading misinformation about Nandini milk products on social media and misleading the public, police said on Thursday.
The complaint was lodged by Padmavathi R, an officer of the Karnataka Milk Federation (KMF), which owns the popular Nandini brand, seeking legal action against Dr Sharanya Padma.
In her complaint, Padmavathi stated that Padma had uploaded reels on February 8 claiming that "Nandini products such as cream bun, strawberry-flavoured milk and other beverages are toxic and contain chemicals, and consuming them daily could lead to autoimmune diseases and serious health issues. Long-term consumption will definitely result in cancer in the future."
According to the complaint, the doctor also alleged that strawberry-flavoured milk "does not contain natural strawberries but is prepared by adding artificial colours and preservatives," and questioned how the Food Safety and Standards Authority of India (FSSAI) had granted permission for the manufacture of such products.
She further claimed in the reel that consuming these products would damage health and that KMF, being a government company, was producing and marketing them for profit.
The complaint quoted her as stating that "these products are not real food but poisonous in nature and KMF should not release such products into the market."
Padmavathi stated that baseless allegations about certain Nandini brand products were being made on social media and that such "false propaganda" had created unnecessary confusion among crores of consumers who had grown up with the brand since childhood.
In a press release issued on February 18, KMF clarified that it strictly adheres to all food safety standards and approved procedures prescribed by statutory authorities and FSSAI. It assured that all Nandini milk and milk products are completely safe for consumption and that consumers need not panic.
The Federation also "strongly condemned such baseless, misleading and brand-defaming statements" and said it was committed to taking legal action against those involved in such malicious acts.
Based on the complaint, police are examining the matter and further action is likely in accordance with law.
There was no immediate reaction from Dr Padma.
