Tehran: Explosions rocked Tehran early Friday morning as Israel launched airstrikes targeting suspected Iranian nuclear and military facilities. The unprecedented escalation comes just a day after the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) censured Iran for non-cooperation with nuclear inspectors, the first such move in two decades.
 
In response, Iran announced the creation of a third uranium enrichment facility and a plan to replace older centrifuges with more advanced models. Iranian officials reiterated that the country has no intent to develop nuclear weapons but warned that it retains the capability if necessary.
 
Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu addressed the nation via YouTube, stating that the strikes would continue “for as many days as it takes to remove this threat.” Defense Minister Israel Katz confirmed Israel’s involvement, warning that retaliatory drone and missile attacks from Iran were expected. A special emergency order was declared for Israeli civilians.
 
The United States distanced itself from the offensive. Secretary of State Marco Rubio confirmed that Washington had been notified but did not participate in the strikes. “Our top priority is protecting American personnel in the region,” Rubio stated, adding that the U.S. had already withdrawn some diplomats from Iraq and offered voluntary evacuations for families of service members.
 
Smoke was seen rising from Tehran’s western Chitgar neighborhood. While no known nuclear facilities are located there, the broader scope of the operation remains unclear. Both Iranian and Israeli airspaces were temporarily closed.
 
Meanwhile, global markets reacted immediately, Brent crude prices spiked nearly 5% following news of the attack.
 
In a separate statement, U.S. President Donald Trump revealed he had urged Netanyahu to delay military action, warning that a diplomatic resolution might still be possible. However, at the time of the strike, Trump was seen mingling with lawmakers on the White House lawn and reportedly continued interactions despite the unfolding crisis.

Let the Truth be known. If you read VB and like VB, please be a VB Supporter and Help us deliver the Truth to one and all.



Sultanpur (UP) (PTI): Leader of Opposition in the Lok Sabha Rahul Gandhi on Friday appeared before an MP-MLA court in Uttar Pradesh's Sultanpur and recorded his statement in a 2018 defamation case related to his remarks against Union Home Minister Amit Shah.

Gandhi told the court of Special Judge Shubham Verma that the allegations against him were made out of political malice and with an aim of destroying his image and that of his party, the Congress leader's advocate Kashi Prasad Shukla told PTI.

The court fixed March 9 as the next date of hearing on which the Lok Sabha MP from Raebareli has been asked to furnish evidence in his defence, the lawyer said.

Elaborating about the statement given by the Congress leader in the court, his lawyer said Gandhi denied all allegations levelled against him.

ALSO READ:  Answer to 'abject surrender' lies in 'grips', 'chokes' placed on PM: Rahul on India-US trade deal

"The allegations are baseless and unfounded. I have never used derogatory words against anyone, nor have I used such language with the intention of defaming anyone. A false complaint has been filed by distorting my statement," Shukla quoted Gandhi as saying.

"The allegations have been made against me out of political malice with the aim of destroying my image and that of my party. I have never used derogatory words against anyone, nor have I used such language with the intention of defaming anyone," Gandhi told the court

As the Congress leader emerged from the court after recording his statement, party supporters raised slogans hailing him. Gandhi smiled and waved at the crowd before leaving.

Gandhi entered the Sultanpur court around 10.40 am and left after recording statements around 11.15 am.

Ahead of the court hearing, some local Congress leaders had put up posters in Sultanpur that read 'Satyamev Jayate' (truth always triumphs).

The case dates back to 2018 when local BJP leader and former chairman of the District Cooperative Bank Vijay Mishra had filed a defamation complaint against Gandhi, alleging that during the Karnataka elections in 2018, the Congress leader made derogatory remarks against the then BJP president and current Union Home Minister Shah.

Santosh Kumar Pandey, the lawyer representing Mishra, said the cross-examination of the plaintiff and two witnesses has been completed.

The trial has been underway for the past five years. In December 2023, a warrant was issued against Gandhi for non-appearance before the court. He surrendered in February 2024, following which a special magistrate granted him bail on two sureties of Rs 25,000 each.

On July 26, 2024, Gandhi recorded his statement before the court, claiming innocence and terming the case a political conspiracy. Thereafter, the court directed the complainant to produce evidence in the case.