Tel Aviv: Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu on Sunday defended a fresh military offensive in the Gaza Strip, calling it “more sweeping than previously announced” and asserting that Israel “has no choice but to finish the job and complete the defeat of Hamas.”
Speaking amid mounting condemnation at home and abroad over the 22-month conflict, Netanyahu said the security cabinet had directed the dismantling of Hamas strongholds not only in Gaza City but also in the “central camps” and Muwasi. These areas, according to UN estimates, shelter more than half a million displaced people and had not been mentioned in Israel’s earlier announcement on Friday.
A source familiar with the operation, speaking on condition of anonymity, confirmed Israel’s plans to extend military action to both areas. Netanyahu maintained that “safe zones” would be established, though such areas have been bombed in previous strikes.
The announcement came as heavy bombardment was reported in Gaza City late Sunday. Shortly before midnight, Al Jazeera confirmed the killing of its correspondent Anas al-Sharif in a targeted Israeli strike. The attack hit a tent for Al Jazeera journalists outside the main gate of al-Shifa Hospital, an area known for hosting medical personnel.
Shifa Hospital’s administrative director, Rami Mohanna, said the strike killed five Al Jazeera journalists, including Sharif, whom Israel accused of leading a Hamas cell responsible for orchestrating rocket attacks. Sharif was killed moments after posting a video showing intense bombardment in Gaza City.
Let the Truth be known. If you read VB and like VB, please be a VB Supporter and Help us deliver the Truth to one and all.
New Delhi (PTI): A 30-year-old man was found hanging at his residence in northeast Delhi's Jafrabad area on Thursday, with police suspecting that matrimonial discord may have driven him to take the extreme step, an official said.
Information was received from Lok Nayak Jai Prakash (LNJP) Hospital regarding a person who had been brought dead, he said.
During enquiry, the deceased was identified as Chand (30), a resident of Welcome area. Police said he was staying with his brother at a house in Jafrabad where he was allegedly found hanging.
According to police, Chand was first taken to Jag Pravesh Chandra Hospital by family members after they found him in an unconscious state, and was declared brought dead.
The family later shifted him to LNJP Hospital seeking a second medical opinion, where doctors again declared him dead, police said.
Police said the body has been sent for post-mortem to ascertain the cause of death.
During preliminary verification, it came to light that Chand was facing matrimonial issues. His wife had reportedly left him and shifted to her parental home following disputes between the couple, police said, adding that the angle is being examined as part of the investigation.
Crime and forensics teams were informed and necessary legal proceedings are underway, police said.
