New Delhi (PTI): A Delhi court on Thursday rejected the transit anticipatory bail pleas of Saurabh and Gaurav Luthra, owners of Birch by Romeo Lane nightclub in Goa where a massive fire last week killed 25 people.
On Wednesday, the accused sought four weeks of transit anticipatory bail so that they were not immediately arrested after their return to Delhi from Thailand.
Additional Sessions Judge Vandana dismissed the bail plea.
A detailed order is awaited.
ALSO READ: Goa nightclub fire: Owners Saurabh and Gaurav Luthra detained in Thailand
During the proceedings, counsel for the state of Goa opposed the pleas, saying, “They left, they concealed, and they are now seeking leniency.”
He said the Luthra brothers had left Goa immediately after the fire incident and had been “evading the legal process”.
The state counsel said the law does not aid those who refuse to submit to summons or warrants.
Referring to judicial observations, he said: “Once it is shown that a person is attempting to evade the process of law, the court should not come to his aid at all.”
He added that anticipatory bail is a discretionary relief and cannot be granted to those who have “created obstacles in the execution of warrants or concealed themselves”.
The counsel submitted that serious allegations were pending, including non-bailable warrants. “This is not a case for granting the privilege of anticipatory bail. The gravity of the offence and the conduct of the applicants disentitle them from any protection,” he argued.
Seeking the relief, one of the counsels for the applicants argued that they were willing to return immediately and face the investigation, and urged the court not to “punish them at the threshold”.
He said the brothers had approached the Delhi court at the earliest opportunity and undertook to join the probe without delay.
ALSO READ: Umar Khalid granted interim bail to attend sister’s wedding in Delhi riots conspiracy case
“If I land in India tonight and the investigating officer (IO) tells me to appear at midnight, I will be there,” he said.
The counsel said that transit bail was not a determination on merits but a limited protection to ensure safe access to the right court.
He cited a Supreme Court order permitting an accused abroad, against whom Blue and Red Corner notices were contemplated, to return to India with temporary protection.
“I only seek protection for a few days to reach the court safely. When a citizen is willing to submit to the law, the Court must extend a helping hand, not a fist,” he said.
Let the Truth be known. If you read VB and like VB, please be a VB Supporter and Help us deliver the Truth to one and all.
New Delhi (PTI): India and Brazil on Saturday set a bilateral trade target of more than USD 20 billion in the next five years, after Prime Minister Narendra Modi held wide-ranging talks with Brazilian President Luiz Inacio Lula Da Silva, focussing in the areas of critical minerals and security.
Modi said the relations between India and Brazil have long benefitted from President Lula's visionary outlook and inspiring leadership.
He also noted that Brazil is India's largest trade partner in Latin America.
"We are committed to taking the India-Brazil trade beyond USD 20 billion in the next five years," the prime minister said in his media statement after the talks.
He asserted that when India and Brazil work together, the voice of the Global South becomes stronger.
Modi also said both countries agree that terrorism and its supporters are enemies of the entire humanity.
