New Delhi/Mumbai (PTI): The government plans to take strict action against IndiGo to "set an example" for airlines that violate regulations, the Civil Aviation Minister said on Monday, as the country's largest carrier added more flights as its operations limp back to normalcy following a week of widespread flight cancellations.
IndiGo, whose delayed preparation for stricter pilot rest rules triggered last week's wave of cancellations, operated 1,800 flights on Monday, up from around 1,650 on Sunday. At the peak of disruptions, more than two-thirds of its roughly 2,300 daily flights were grounded on December 5.
The sector regulator Directorate General of Civil Aviation (DGCA), which had previously issued a show cause notice to IndiGo CEO to explain the disruptions, set up a four-member panel to probe the matter.
ALSO READ: Let's debate in LS to close chapter on 'complaints, insults' against Nehru: Priyanka to PM
IndiGo CEO Pieter Elbers and COO Isidre Porqueras filed a "comprehensive" reply to DGCA show cause notices before the extended deadline expired on Monday evening, airline sources said.
IndiGo did not reply to an email sent for comments.
Meanwhile, a DGCA statement said it has received IndiGo's response to its show cause notice.
IndiGo, the statement said, is "profusely" apologetic and deeply regrets the inconvenience and hardship caused to customers.
The regulator also said that it is in the process of examining IndiGo's response and will take appropriate enforcement action.
The DGCA panel will assess manpower planning, fluctuating rostering system and airline's preparedness to implement the latest duty period and rest norms of pilots, sources said, adding that Elbers and Porqueras have been asked to appear before it on December 10.
ALSO READ: IndiGo fight disruptions: Opposition demands statement from government
It will also review the extent of compliance of the Flight Duty Time Limitation (FDTL) rules, which were communicated to the industry more than a year in advance. It would analyse gaps as well as fix accountability.
Following mass cancellations, the government had given a temporary exemption from the rules until February 10, 2026.
The Phase 2 FDTL regulations, introduced on November 1, 2025, classify any duty between midnight and 6 am as night duty and reduce permissible landings within 24 hours from six to two or three. While intended to improve safety and manage crew fatigue, the rules are among the strictest globally.
Without additional hiring in the ultra-optimised airline, the new rules led to pilot shortages for IndiGo, which controls over 65 per cent market share. Tens of thousands of passengers were stranded as IndiGo's flight cancellations upended vacation plans and weddings, sparking growing anger over delays and lost luggage.
"We are not taking this situation lightly. We are doing an inquiry and will take very, very strict action... we will set an example for all the other airlines," Civil Aviation Minister Ram Mohan Naidu said in reply to questions in the Rajya Sabha.
While he did not elaborate on the action, Moody's Ratings said the airline could face potential penalties.
ALSO READ: Arnab Goswami’s Homecoming? Anchor tears into Modi Government over aviation chaos
"The disruptions are credit negative because IndiGo could face significant financial damage from loss of revenue because of flight cancellations, refunds and other compensation to affected customers, along with potential penalties imposed by DGCA," Moody's said.
In signs of the size of disruptions, the government said 5,86,705 IndiGo tickets were cancelled between December 1 and 7, with refunds amounting to Rs 569.65 crore issued to affected passengers.
A total of 9,55,591 tickets were cancelled between November 21 and December 7, and Rs 827 crore was refunded.
"After the recent disruptions, IndiGo has recorded considerable and consistent improvement across the network. Today, we are all set to operate over 1,800 flights, connecting all stations that we operate to," IndiGo said in a statement.
"We have optimised our operations and managed to reduce the number of cancellations, which are being notified to customers in advance, and our on-time performance (OTP) has also improved to 91 per cent across the network."
ALSO READ: Kerala court acquits actor Dileep in 2017 actress assault case, six found guilty
On Monday, IndiGo cancelled over 500 flights.
The airline said it has delivered over 4,500 bags, which were checked in before the cancellations were announced, to passengers and would do so for the remaining equal number in the next 36 hours.
"We would like to reiterate that all our operations are fully compliant with the relevant FDTL norms and safety regulations, as they have been throughout the last two decades. We continue to work in full cooperation with the authorities to restore normalcy in operations," it said.
On Monday, IndiGo shares fell over 8 per cent - its biggest plunge since February 2022 - and marked a seventh day of selling that's cumulatively slashed USD 4.5 billion from the company's market value.
Shares of rival SpiceJet rose 5 per cent.
Let the Truth be known. If you read VB and like VB, please be a VB Supporter and Help us deliver the Truth to one and all.
Mumbai (PTI): Veteran screenwriter Salim Khan suffered a brain haemorrhage which has been tackled, is on ventilator support as a safeguard and stable, doctors treating him said on Wednesday, a day after he was admitted to the Lilavati Hospital here.
The 90-year-old, one half of the celebrated Salim-Javed duo which scripted films such as "Sholay", "Deewar" and "Don" with Javed Akhtar, is in the ICU and recovery might take some time given his age.
"His blood pressure was high for which we treated him and we had to put him on a ventilator because we wanted to do certain investigations. Now the ventilator was put as a safeguard so that his situation doesn't get worse. So it is not that he is critical," Dr Jalil Parkar told reporters.
"We did the investigations that were required and today we have done a small procedure on him, I will not go into the details. The procedure done is called DSA (digital subtraction angiography). The procedure has been accomplished, he is fine and stable and shifted back to ICU. By tomorrow, we hope to get him off the ventilator. All in all, he is doing quite well," he added.
Asked whether he suffered a brain haemorrhage, the doctor said, "Unko thoda haemorrhage hua tha, which we’ve tackled. No surgery is required.
As concern over Khan's health mounted, his children, including superstar Salman Khan and Arbaaz Khan, daughter Alvira, and sons-in-law Atul Agnihotri and Aayush Sharma, have been seen outside the hospital along with other well-wishers. His long-time partner Akhtar was also seen coming out of the hospital.
Khan, a household name in the 70s and 80s, turned 90 on November 24 last year. It was the day Dharmendra, the star of many of his films, including "Sholay", "Seeta aur Geeta" and "Yaadon Ki Baraat", passed away.
Hailing from an affluent family in Indore, Khan arrived in Mumbai in his 20s with dreams of stardom. He was good looking and confident he would make a mark in the industry as an actor. But that did not happen. And then, after struggling for close to a decade and getting confined to small roles in films, he changed lanes.
He worked as an assistant to Abrar Alvi and soon met Akhtar to form one of Hindi cinema's most formidable writing partnerships. They worked together on two dozen movies with most of them achieving blockbuster status.
Other than "Sholay", "Deewar" and "Don", Khan and Akhtar also penned "Trishul", "Zanjeer", "Seeta Aur Geeta", "Haathi Mere Saathi", "Yaadon Ki Baarat" and "Mr India".
