New Delhi: The Indian Army has quietly updated its social media policy, allowing soldiers and officers to access Instagram, but strictly as silent viewers. According to sources, personnel can use the platform only to watch and monitor content. Posting, liking or commenting remains prohibited, and all existing rules governing digital behaviour continue to apply.

The revised instructions have been circulated across army units and departments. The objective, sources said, is to let soldiers stay informed, track developments online and build awareness, without compromising operational security. Personnel are also permitted to flag fake, misleading or suspicious posts to senior officers.

ALSO READ: Bengaluru woman groped, beaten, dragged on road after rejecting man’s advances

The Army has, over the years, repeatedly tightened and revised its social media guidelines, especially for platforms such as Facebook, X (formerly Twitter) and Instagram. The restrictions stem from security concerns, particularly instances where soldiers were targeted through “honey traps” by hostile foreign agencies, resulting in the inadvertent sharing of sensitive information.

Responding to a question on how the forces balance discipline with the digital habits of Generation Z, Army Chief General Upendra Dwivedi recently addressed the issue at the Chanakya Defence Dialogue.

Acknowledging the challenge, General Dwivedi said young cadets arriving at the National Defence Academy often struggle to part with their phones. “It takes three to six months to convince them that there is life without a phone,” he remarked, while adding that smartphones today are also a necessity.

The Army chief stressed how important smartphones are for preserving family ties, while noting that phones are useful tools for reading, learning, and handling personal obligations. He also mentioned that soldiers deployed in remote areas rely on their phones to view photos of their newborn children, check on ageing parents, or maintain contact with their wives.

However, General Dwivedi drew a firm line when it comes to engaging on social media. He emphasised the difference between “reacting” and “responding,” cautioning soldiers against impulsive online responses. “Reacting is immediate. Responding involves thought and analysis,” he said, adding that army personnel are currently permitted to use platforms like X only for viewing, not replying. “Reply after you retire,” he remarked, describing this restraint as a strategic message to adversaries: the Army does not react, it responds.

Army personnel were barred from joining any social media groups until 2019. Following repeated cases of misuse, the rules were further tightened in 2020, with soldiers instructed to delete 89 mobile applications. Minister of State for Defence Subhash Bhamre told Parliament in 2017, that social media guidelines were framed to safeguard information and prevent misuse.

Over time, limited access has been restored under strict supervision. Platforms such as Facebook, YouTube, X, LinkedIn, Quora, Telegram and WhatsApp are now permitted, but only within clearly defined boundaries. The Army also runs its own official social media handles, which serve as authorised sources of information.

Under the updated framework, soldiers may use social media to gather general information, upload resumes or explore professional opportunities, provided all security protocols are strictly followed and no instructions are violated.

Let the Truth be known. If you read VB and like VB, please be a VB Supporter and Help us deliver the Truth to one and all.



Ahmedabad (PTI): All that Abhishek Sharma needs is a start, but there hasn't been any discussion about the talented opener's wretched run in the T20 World Cup so far, bowling coach Morne Morkel said ahead of India's first Super Eights game against South Africa here on Sunday.

Abhishek is yet to open his account in the current edition of the tournament and during Friday's training, he was seen spending considerable time with head coach Gautam Gambhir.

Gambhir was seen trying to explain to him certain finer points and like a diligent student, the flamboyant southpaw nodded in agreement.

After that he went for a high catch session.

At times, excess training can prove to be counter productive and Abhishek was seen bowling to the other batters for better part of the game.

When asked if there's discussion in general within the team on Abhishek, Morkel denied emphatically.

"Absolutely no discussion. He's a world class player. So far in the tournament, luckily, there's been some guys standing up for Abhishek (others scoring runs)," Morkel told the media.

However, he agreed that Abhishek needs to score runs as they enter the business end of the tourney.

"But we're going through a very important phase of the World Cup now and we expect him to do well.

"And I'm pretty sure, not just for the team, but also for all the viewers watching the game. Because he's (Abhishek) entertaining, and we love to see that.

"So yeah, I'm pretty sure he's hitting the ball well. It's just a matter of getting that start and Abhishek will get going," Morkel said.