Mumbai (PTI): A total of 40,789 passengers were affected due to the cancellation of 905 IndiGo flights between December 1 and December 8 at Mumbai airport, and another 2,66,567 travellers faced inordinate delays in the wake of massive disruptions in the airline's operations, MIAL said on Tuesday.
IndiGo, during this period, deployed a total of 3,171 flights, of which it could operate only 2,266 services, said Mumbai International Airport Limited (MIAL).
At the same time, the crisis-hit airline also delayed (beyond 30 minutes), a total of 1,475 flights during the reporting period, it said.
According to MIAL, the major affected sectors from Mumbai included Ahmedabad, Delhi, Bangalore, Hyderabad, Chennai, Kolkata, Cochin, Goa, Lucknow on the domestic routes, while Amsterdam and Istanbul on the international side, with December 4th and 5th seeing the peak disruptions.
Earlier in the day, Joint Secretary in the Civil Aviation Ministry Madhu Sudan Shankar reviewed the situation at the Mumbai airport in the wake of the IndiGo disruptions.
IndiGo has been facing significant operational disruptions for the last one week after the new crew rostering rule came into effect allowing increased rest periods for pilots and other staff, resulting in hundreds of flight cancellations and delays.
Let the Truth be known. If you read VB and like VB, please be a VB Supporter and Help us deliver the Truth to one and all.
New Delhi (PTI): The Indian government is studying the developments on the US tariffs and their implications, the Commerce Ministry said on Saturday.
"We have noted the US Supreme Court judgement on tariffs yesterday (Friday). US President Donald Trump has also addressed a press conference in this regard.
"Some steps have been announced by the US administration. We are studying all these developments for their implications," the ministry said.
In a major setback to Trump's pivotal economic agenda for his second term, the US Supreme Court, in a 6-3 verdict written by Chief Justice John Roberts, ruled that the tariffs imposed by the president on nations around the world were illegal and that he had exceeded his authority when he imposed the sweeping levies.
Later, Trump's proclamation, dated February 20, said: "I impose, for a period of 150 days, a temporary import surcharge of 10 per cent ad valorem on articles imported into the United States, effective February 24, 2026".
The US had imposed a reciprocal tariff of 25 per cent on India in August.
Later, an additional 25 per cent was imposed for buying Russian crude oil, taking the total tariffs on India to 50 per cent. Earlier this month, both countries agreed to finalise an interim trade deal, under which Washington will cut down the tariffs to 18 per cent.
So far, the punitive 25 per cent has been removed. The remaining 25 per cent exists.
After the proclamation, the tariffs on Indian goods will now be 10 per cent. The 10 per cent levy is over and above the existing MFN or import duties in the US.
In the wake of the US Supreme Court's decision on tariffs, Trump said there is no change in the trade deal with India and emphasised that the India deal is on.
To finalise the legal text for the first phase of the bilateral trade agreement, the Indian team is scheduled to meet its counterparts in Washington from February 23, 2026.
During 2021-25, the US was India's largest trading partner in goods. The US accounts for about 18 per cent of India's total exports, 6.22 per cent in imports and 10.73 per cent in bilateral trade.
In 2024-25, the bilateral trade touched USD 186 billion (USD 86.5 billion exports and USD 45.3 billion imports).
