Srinagar: The Bharatiya Janata Party-led Union government's decision to rename health centers as ‘Ayushman Arogya Mandirs’ has ignited controversy in Ladakh, drawing criticism from the region’s most influential Buddhist organization and elected representatives who view the move as an insult to the sentiments of the people in the Union Territory, according to TheWire.in.

In November last year, the Union Ministry of Health and Family Welfare had decided to rename Ayushman Bharat- Health and Wellness Centers (AB-HWC’s) as 'Ayushman Arogya Mandirs'. In a letter dated November 25, 2023, the ministry proposed the name change as part of a rebranding initiative for states and union territories. States were instructed to submit photographs of these health centers along with the renaming by December 31, 2023.

The rebranding of Ayushman centers in the Union Territory has faced strong opposition from major religious groups in Ladakh, particularly in the Buddhist-majority Leh district. Elected representatives in the district have also criticized the renaming of health centers.

Meanwhile, Chering Dorjey Lakrook, acting president, Ladakh Buddhist Association (LBA), who also served as a Minister in the erstwhile People’s Democratic Party-BJP government in the state of Jammu and Kashmir, stated that the decision was unacceptable.

“This is a conspiracy against us. What is the joy in naming hospitals after temples? this is a step towards making India a ‘Hindu Rashtra’,” said Dorjey speaking to TheWire.in

Simultaneously, Saspol constituency Councilor and President of Ladakh unit Youth Congress, Smanla Dorje Nurboo speaking to TheWire.in expressed that people are offended by this decision.

“Health facilities should be accessible to all. But this move will create barriers to use these facilities," he alleged.

Let the Truth be known. If you read VB and like VB, please be a VB Supporter and Help us deliver the Truth to one and all.



Bengaluru: Deputy Chief Minister D.K. Shivakumar has indicated that a water tariff hike in Bengaluru is imminent, with a potential increase of one paisa per litre.

The revision, he stated, is necessary to fund upcoming phases of the Cauvery water supply project. However, he assured that the government is committed to ensuring that it does not burden the public.

Shivakumar emphasized that the increase is essential to address the massive losses incurred by the Bangalore Water Supply and Sewerage Board (BWSSB), which is reportedly losing over Rs 1,000 crore annually. "The tariff revision is unavoidable. We must raise the water rate by at least one paisa per litre. However, we have instructed BWSSB to implement this increase in a way that minimises the impact on citizens," he said.

Despite criticism over recent back-to-back price hikes on various services and commodities by the state government, Shivakumar stood firm on the need for the water tariff revision. He added that before the hike takes effect, there would be efforts to raise awareness among the public about the importance of water conservation.

Shivakumar also responded to the BJP's opposition to the tariff increase. He asserted that when they reduced electricity prices, the BJP remained silent. “If they are concerned about citizens' livelihoods, they should first focus on reducing the costs of essentials like petrol, diesel, and animal feed," he said. He further pointed out that despite recent price increases, the prices of milk and curd in Karnataka remain lower compared to other states.