New Delhi (PTI): The Supreme Court has directed that a plea seeking directions to the Centre and the Reserve Bank of India to formulate a Standard Operating Procedure governing freezing and de-freezing of bank accounts during cybercrime probes be placed before Chief Justice of India Surya Kant.

A bench of Justices Pankaj Mithal and SVN Bhatti directed the apex court registry to seek instruction from the CJI and place the matter accordingly before appropriate bench after it was informed by the Centre that the CJI-led bench was already hearing a suo moto matter related to digital arrests, where the same issue is under consideration.

"Anil Kaushik, ASG further submits that as far as prayers 'B' and 'C' are concerned, they are the subject matter of consideration before another bench of this Court in Suo Moto Writ Petition (Crl.) No…. In view of the above, the registry to obtain appropriate orders from the Chief Justice of India and post the matter accordingly," the top court said in its order on January 16.

The top court had earlier agreed to examine the plea which have prayer 'B' stating that no bank account shall be frozen without a written reasoned order and intimation to the account holder within 24 hours of such action and every freezing order shall be forthwith reported to the jurisdictional magistrate as mandated under Section 106(3) of BNSS/ 102(3) of the CrPC.

Its prayer 'C' seeks direction to the Centre and the Reserve Bank of India to formulate a uniform Standard Operating Procedure (SOP) governing freezing and de-freezing of bank accounts during cybercrime investigations, so as to prevent arbitrary action and ensure procedural fairness nationwide.

ALSO READ:  Hindu woman in bridal attire, Muslim man found hanging from tree in UP's Jhansi

At the outset, Kaushik informed the bench that Centre has not freezed the bank accounts of petitioners, who alleged the action was taken without intimation.

On January 6, the top court had asked the copy of the petition to be served on the Centre within three days, and listed the matter next week.

The plea also sought the issuance of appropriate guidelines to all investigating agencies, including cyber cells across the country, to ensure that no bank account is frozen without a written, reasoned order and intimation to the account holder within 24 hours of such action.

The plea filed by petitioner Vivek Varshney, through advocate Tushar Manohar Khairnar ,said he was aggrieved by the "arbitrary freezing/holding" of his bank account(s) by the Cyber Cell of Tamil Nadu police allegedly without any prior notice, communication or judicial approval, thereby violating his fundamental rights under Articles 19(1)(g) and 21 of the Constitution.

The petitioner claimed that the freezing order in his case has resulted in complete financial paralysis, restricting him from carrying out his professional and personal obligations, including payment of essential expenses, taxes and liabilities.

"It is respectfully submitted that Section 106(3) of BNSS/ 102(3) of the Cr.P.C. mandates that any seizure or freezing of property must be forthwith reported to the jurisdictional magistrate. However, in the instant case, no such compliance has been made. The action of the respondents is, therefore, without jurisdiction, arbitrary, and unconstitutional," it said.

The plea highlighted that there is currently no uniform procedure or Standard Operating Protocol (SOP) governing the freezing and unfreezing of bank accounts during cybercrime or financial investigations.

"Consequently, citizens across different states are subjected to inconsistent practices, prolonged freezing periods, and deprivation of their financial rights without due process.

"Hence, this court's indulgence is sought to (i) direct the immediate defreezing of the petitioner’s account(s); and (ii) frame uniform guidelines to ensure procedural safeguards, proportionality, and accountability in all future actions of this nature," it said.

Varshney, whose bank account was allegedly frozen due to transaction related to sale of jewellery, submitted that his writ petition was filed to formulate a rule that unless an account holder is proven to be complicit in a crime, their entire bank account or amount more than alleged to be involved in the crime should not be frozen merely because a suspicious transaction has been traced to it.

"Recognising the increasing frequency of such cases", the plea urged the court to "formulate guidelines to save the common man from suffering from unnecessary harassment".

It also urged the court to direct "the Ministry of Home Affairs, Government of India to formulate a uniform policy and standard operating procedures (SOPs) in the cases of similar nature where cyber cell issues notices freezing accounts"

Let the Truth be known. If you read VB and like VB, please be a VB Supporter and Help us deliver the Truth to one and all.



Mumbai (PTI): Veteran screenwriter Salim Khan suffered a brain haemorrhage which has been tackled, is on ventilator support as a safeguard and stable, doctors treating him said on Wednesday, a day after he was admitted to the Lilavati Hospital here.

The 90-year-old, one half of the celebrated Salim-Javed duo which scripted films such as "Sholay", "Deewar" and "Don" with Javed Akhtar, is in the ICU and recovery might take some time given his age.

"His blood pressure was high for which we treated him and we had to put him on a ventilator because we wanted to do certain investigations. Now the ventilator was put as a safeguard so that his situation doesn't get worse. So it is not that he is critical," Dr Jalil Parkar told reporters.

"We did the investigations that were required and today we have done a small procedure on him, I will not go into the details. The procedure done is called DSA (digital subtraction angiography). The procedure has been accomplished, he is fine and stable and shifted back to ICU. By tomorrow, we hope to get him off the ventilator. All in all, he is doing quite well," he added.

Asked whether he suffered a brain haemorrhage, the doctor said, "Unko thoda haemorrhage hua tha, which we’ve tackled. No surgery is required.

As concern over Khan's health mounted, his children, including superstar Salman Khan and Arbaaz Khan, daughter Alvira, and sons-in-law Atul Agnihotri and Aayush Sharma, have been seen outside the hospital along with other well-wishers. His long-time partner Akhtar was also seen coming out of the hospital.

Khan, a household name in the 70s and 80s, turned 90 on November 24 last year. It was the day Dharmendra, the star of many of his films, including "Sholay", "Seeta aur Geeta" and "Yaadon Ki Baraat", passed away.

Hailing from an affluent family in Indore, Khan arrived in Mumbai in his 20s with dreams of stardom. He was good looking and confident he would make a mark in the industry as an actor. But that did not happen. And then, after struggling for close to a decade and getting confined to small roles in films, he changed lanes.

He worked as an assistant to Abrar Alvi and soon met Akhtar to form one of Hindi cinema's most formidable writing partnerships. They worked together on two dozen movies with most of them achieving blockbuster status.

Other than "Sholay", "Deewar" and "Don", Khan and Akhtar also penned "Trishul", "Zanjeer", "Seeta Aur Geeta", "Haathi Mere Saathi", "Yaadon Ki Baarat" and "Mr India".