New Delhi (PTI): The Supreme Court on Monday dismissed a plea challenging the Chhattisgarh High Court order in a matter pertaining to hoardings which allegedly prohibit entry of pastors and converted Christians in some villages in the state.
The high court had in October last year disposed of two separate pleas seeking removal of such hoardings.
While referring to an apex court verdict, the high court had observed that installation of hoardings for preventing forcible conversion by way of allurement or fraudulent means cannot be termed as unconstitutional.
A plea challenging the high court's order came up for hearing before a bench of Justices Vikram Nath and Sandeep Mehta on Monday.
ALSO READ: SC questions Centre over transcripts of videos in Sonam Wangchuk detention case
Senior advocate Colin Gonsalves, appearing for the petitioner, referred to a separate matter relating to alleged attacks on pastors which is pending before the top court.
Solicitor General Tushar Mehta said the plea before the high court was limited but the petitioner has now added several new facts and documents in the petition filed in the apex court.
After hearing the submissions, the bench dismissed the petition.
The high court had noted in its order that the petitioners before it were raising the alleged issue of segregation of Christian community and their religious leaders from the mainstream village community.
The petitioners had claimed before the high court that authorities had circulated a format of resolution in Kanker district instructing the Gram Panchayat to pass resolution in the name and style "Hamari Parampara Hamari Virasat".
They alleged that the real intention of circulating this circular to the Gram Panchayat was to instruct them to pass resolution prohibiting entry of Christian pastors and the so called converted Christians in the village.
The petitioners had claimed before the high court that at least eight villages of Kanker district had erected hoardings which say that entry of pastors and "converted Christians" was prohibited in the village.
The counsel appearing for the state had argued in the high court that the petitioners had filed the pleas merely on the basis of apprehension that the hoardings
were being erected at the instance of government authorities.
The high court had directed the petitioners to avail the statutory remedy before approaching the court.
"Further, in case the petitioners have any apprehension that they would be restrained from entering their villages or any threat perception exists, they may seek protection from the police," the high court had said, while disposing of the pleas.
Let the Truth be known. If you read VB and like VB, please be a VB Supporter and Help us deliver the Truth to one and all.
Budaun (PTI): A six-year-old girl died after allegedly swallowing a bead of her bracelet at a private school in Uttar Pradesh's Budaun on Monday, police said.
The incident occurred at New Hopes Public School in Kakrala town, where Class I student Taapsi, reportedly swallowed a bead of a bracelet she was wearing in the classroom at around 11.30 am, officials said.
According to the school administration, the child experienced breathing difficulty following the incident. Her family members were informed and she was taken to a local community health centre.
She was later taken to the district headquarters and admitted to the district hospital, where doctors declared her dead.
The girl’s father Tekchandra demanded action against the school administration, claiming the family was informed after his daughter died.
School principal Bhooraj Singh said the student had arrived at school in normal condition. A classmate informed the teacher that the child had chewed and swallowed a bead of her bracelet, following which the school immediately alerted the family and arranged for medical assistance.
He added that CCTV footage from the classroom has been handed over to police and the school is cooperating with the investigation.
Alapur Station House Officer Madhav Singh Bisht said the school informed police about the incident. After receiving an information from the district hospital, police began inquest proceedings and preparations for a post-mortem examination.
He added that senior officials have been informed and a panel will conduct the autopsy.
According to the police, the CCTV footage has been collected from the school.
No formal complaint has been received from the family so far, and further legal action will be taken after due inquiry, the SHO said.
