Chennai, April 17: DMK leader M.K. Stalin on Tuesday wrote to Prime Minister Narendra Modi for an appointment on behalf of political parties, farmers associations, traders' groups and labour unions to appraise him of the Cauvery water dispute.

"Through this letter, we seek an appointment to meet and apprise you of the sentiments prevailing in Tamil Nadu and urge you to intervene in this issue immediately," Stalin wrote.

He said the Supreme Court had on February 15 directed the Centre to frame a scheme within six weeks so that the final award delivered by the Cauvery Water Disputes Tribunal, which has the status of a decree, is effectively put into operation, and the decades-long dispute is resolved once and for all.

Stalin said that at an all-party meeting chaired by Tamil Nadu Chief Minister K. Palaniswami, three resolutions were passed of which one was to meet the Prime Minister to explain the prevailing situation and seek his intervention in constituting the Cauvery Management Board (CMB).

"Furthermore, the Tamil Nadu Legislative Assembly passed a unanimous resolution on March 15 demanding the immediate formation of the CMB. We believe that this unanimous resolution reflects the aspirations and sentiments of the seven-and-a-half crore people of Tamil Nadu.

"It is fair to say that the people of Tamil Nadu have given up hope that the current (state) government will effectively represent their voice or ensure that their rights are protected.

"Therefore, I seek an appointment with you at which all party leaders from Tamil Nadu can apprise you of the looming agricultural crisis in the state, as well as the outpouring of public sentiment because of the non-implementation of the Supreme Court judgment," Stalin said.

The DMK leader also urged Modi to direct the Ministry of Water Resources to withdraw a Clarification Petition pending before the apex court immediately and set up the CMB without waiting for the upcoming Assembly elections in Karnataka.

 

Let the Truth be known. If you read VB and like VB, please be a VB Supporter and Help us deliver the Truth to one and all.



Srinagar (PTI): Jammu and Kashmir Chief Minister Omar Abdullah on Tuesday thanked Union Home Minister Amit Shah for reopening 14 tourist destinations in the Union Territory, which were closed in April last year following the Pahalgam terror attack.

"Recently, the Union home minister had come to Jammu and I had talks with him. Before that, I met him in Delhi as well. My request with regard to tourism was that the areas which have been closed should be reopened. There is no purpose served by keeping these destinations closed. We did not close these places even at the worst of times.

"I was assured by the home minister that these places will be reopened and orders for the same have now been issued. I am thankful to the home minister for that. The local people have borne losses (due to closure). Now, I hope people will visit these beautiful places," Abdullah told reporters on the sidelines of a function here.

The lieutenant governor, who heads the security apparatus in Jammu and Kashmir, on Monday ordered the reopening of 11 tourist destinations in Kashmir and three in the Jammu region. These destinations were among the 80-odd places which were shut down for visitors in the aftermath of the Pahalgam terror attack on April 22 last year that left 26 persons, mostly tourists, dead.

On the controversial remarks made by BJP MLA Vikram Randhawa, the chief minister said the truth has prevailed. "The truth did come out after that. The case was against him (Randhawa). If my information is correct, a case was filed against him for occupying government land," Abdullah said.

He alleged there is always a difference in the words and deeds of BJP leaders.

"It is a trait of the BJP that there is a difference in their words and deeds. They talk about Jammu and Kashmir and nominated a person to the Rajya Sabha from here. He spent 90 per cent of his (MPLAD) funds in Uttar Pradesh.

"He (Ghulam Ali Khatana) is from J-K. He has taken an official house here. Khatana sahib lives here and works from here but when it comes to CDF, he spends 90 per cent of it in UP," Abdullah alleged.

Asked about electricity supply during the month of Ramzan, the chief minister said he is scheduled to chair a meeting of officials where all aspects and arrangements will be reviewed.

"We would make all efforts to ensure that people face the least amount of difficulty during the holy fasting month," he added.

On the protests by daily wagers, Abdullah said there is no need for the street protests as the government has announced on the floor of the Assembly that they shall be regularised this year as per a scheduled process.

"It has been said on the floor of the Assembly that they will be regularised through a process under a time table. If somebody is provoking them for political benefits, they should not become tools in their hands.

"I will listen to you and do anything if you ask with love. Try intimidating me, then nothing will happen. If they have something to say, they should come and tell me. These street protests are not good for them or their future. We have said they will be regularised this year in a time-bound manner," he added.