Mangaluru (Karnataka), Jul 29: The Mangaluru City Corporation (MCC) has launched 'Operation Tiger,' targeting unauthorised street food vendors in the Mannagudda area and along Airport Road near Karnataka Polytechnic on July 29, officials said.

The crackdown has led to the clearing of Mangaluru’s famous food street in Mannagudda, an area previously bustling with activity. The operation resulted in the removal of approximately 30 illegal stalls, the officials said.

According to officials, the drive focused on vendors selling various fast food items, including fish dishes, chaats and egg preparations.

ALSO READ; Bike rider killed in collision with tipper in Karkala

The operation was led by Deputy Commissioner Rekha Shetty, Health Officer Dr Manjaiah Shetty, and officials from the revenue department, with the support of Barke and Kadri police stations to ensure security and crowd control.

This enforcement action followed an earlier promise by Mayor Sudheer Shetty Kannur, who vowed to take stringent measures in response to increasing public complaints. Residents had voiced concerns about street vendors obstructing pedestrian movement and also posing potential health risks.

During the operation, four individuals who attempted to protest the clearance were detained by police in an attempt by the MCC to enforce municipal regulations and maintain order.

This sweep is part of a broader campaign aimed at regulating street vending and upholding the city's safety standards, the officials said.

Get all the latest, breaking news from Mangaluru and Dakshina Kannada in a single click. CLICK HERE to get all the latest news from Mangaluru.

Let the Truth be known. If you read VB and like VB, please be a VB Supporter and Help us deliver the Truth to one and all.



Lucknow (PTI): Bahujan Samaj Party (BSP) chief Mayawati on Friday criticised the central government for "rushing" the Waqf (Amendment) Bill, saying that the legislation should have been introduced only after addressing people's concerns and clarifying doubts.

Her remarks came after the Rajya Sabha passed the Bill late Thursday night, a day after its approval in the Lok Sabha, where the opposition strongly opposed it.

"After listening to both the ruling party and the opposition in Parliament on the Waqf Amendment Bill, the conclusion is that if the central government had given the public more time to understand the Bill and addressed all their concerns before bringing it forward, it would have been better," Mayawati posted on X in Hindi.

The BSP leader further expressed disappointment over what she termed as the government's "haste" in passing the Bill.

"It is unfortunate that the government hurriedly introduced and passed this Bill, which is not appropriate. Now that it has been passed, if governments misuse it, then the BSP will stand firmly with the Muslim community. In other words, the party does not support this Bill," she added.