Mangaluru: Rashtriya Swayamsevak Sangh (RSS) leader Kalladka Prabhakar Bhat, booked under serious charges over making derogatory communal hate speeches against Muslim women and children, was granted anticipatory bail on Wednesday, December 10.
The Puttur Fifth Additional District and Sessions Court, which heard the case, has imposed strict conditions, including reporting to the police station every Thursday.
ALSO READ: Dharmasthala burials revelation shocked Nirmalananda Swamiji, says activist Girish Mattannavar
The court has granted the anticipatory bail application filed by Bhat under Section 482 of the BNSS, with the following conditions:
1. The accused in Crime No. 118/2025 lodged at Puttur Rural Police Station should appear at the station and be released on a personal bond of Rs. 50,000 and one surety of the same amount.
2. The accused should surrender before the officer of the Puttur Rural Police Station within 20 days.
3. He should appear before the investigating officer every Thursday between 10 am and 1 pm for a period of six months and cooperate in the investigation; failure to comply with the above can lead to cancellation of the bail.
4. The accused should not intimidate the complainant or other prosecution witnesses and should not directly or indirectly interfere with the evidence. He (the accused) also must be present regularly for all court dates.
5. He shall not indulge in similar offences in the future.
6. The accused should submit the self-bond and sureties to the court within 20 days from the date of issuing of this order.
7. The accused should submit his proof of address to the investigating officer and the court.
8. In case of violation of any of the above conditions, bail granted to the accused will be cancelled.
The case pertains to the incident reported back in October 22, when Bhat allegedly made derogatory remarks against Muslim women and children during the Deepotsava program organised near Uppalige in Puttur Taluk.
Following the incident, Eshwari Padmunja Janavadi Mahila Sangathan filed a complaint at the Puttur Rural Police Station, accusing Bhat of inciting hate. Acting on the complaint, the police registered an FIR against Prabhakar Bhat and the organisers of the Deepotsava program under sections 79, 196, 299, 302 and 3(5) of Bharatiya Nyay Sanhita (BNS)-2023.
The police had issued a notice directing Bhat to appear for an inquiry. In response, Bhat moved the court seeking anticipatory bail.
Meanwhile, senior advocate Satheeshan had filed an application under sections 338–339 of the BNSS on behalf of the complainant, seeking permission to file a counter-application and argue against bail. The court granted the application, allowing him to argue and submit a counter to the bail plea.
In the meantime, the public prosecutor also filed a counter-application to Prabhakar Bhat's bail application.
Complainant Eshwari Padmunja’s lawyer also submitted a lengthy application, spanning dozens of pages, to the court regarding Prabhakar Bhat's bail application.
Senior advocate Satheeshan had provided the court with the history of 13 cases against Prabhakar Bhat and the Supreme Court judgments.
After hearing all sides, the court granted anticipatory bail to Kalladka Prabhakar Bhat with the above conditions.
So far, 12 hate speech cases have been registered against Kalladka Prabhakar Bhat.
Let the Truth be known. If you read VB and like VB, please be a VB Supporter and Help us deliver the Truth to one and all.
Chennai (PTI): Afghanistan skipper Rashid Khan called for more bilateral series against stronger cricketing nations after his team signed off from the T20 World Cup on a high, defeating Canada in their final group match here on Thursday.
Afghanistan played some exhilarating cricket, going down to South Africa in a gripping second Super Over after the scores were tied, a humdinger that provided one of the early thrills of the World Cup.
However, the spin-bowling stalwart said Afghanistan could make significant strides if they get regular opportunities to compete against stronger cricketing nations.
"Couple of areas to improve, with the batting, the middle order got a bit stuck against the big teams, and then with the bowling the death overs. That comes when you play the bigger teams in bilateral series," said Rashid after his team defeat Canada by 82 runs, with him returning excellent figures of 2 for 19.
The stalwart said the side had arrived well prepared for the tournament and produced some breathtaking cricket, but admitted the narrow defeat to South Africa proved costly and remained a painful setback.
"We were well-prepared (for the tournament), we played some unbelievable cricket. The game against South Africa, that really hurt everyone. We had to win one of those (first two) games and see how the tournament unfolded. We'll take some positive things from this World Cup and look forward," he said.
With head coach Jonathan Trott set to part ways with the team, Rashid described the departure as an "emotional" moment for the side.
"I think we had some wonderful times with him. Where we are now, he played a main role. It's emotional to see him leave us, but that's how life is. We wish him all the best and somewhere down the line we see him again."
Ibrahim Zadran, who was named Player of the Match for his unbeaten 95 off 56 balls, said it was satisfying to finally register a substantial score after two below-par outings.
"I enjoyed it, didn't play better cricket in first two innings, which I expect. Wanted to back my skills, really enjoyed it. Pressure was there, it's there all the time. I want to put myself in pressure situations and enjoy it," said Zadran.
"Wanted to play positive cricket, rotate strike and punish bad ball, create partnerships and this is what I have done."
