Bengaluru (PTI): Karnataka Home Minister G Parameshwara on Sunday said around 20,000 police personnel and officials will be deployed to man Bengaluru to ensure peaceful New Year celebrations, with authorities expecting over 10 lakh people to gather in various parts of the city.
Precautions have been taken to ensure that the celebrations are peaceful and enjoyable, he said and called on people, especially youth to "celebrate responsibly".
"A crowd of approximately 7-8 lakh people had gathered in different places for New Year celebrations last year, this year more than ten lakh people are expected," Parameshwara said.
ALSO READ: EC flags technical issue in 2002 rolls, halts hearings for 'unmapped' electors in Bengal
Speaking to reporters after a meeting with police officials, he said the police have identified crowd prone areas such as -- Koramangala, Indira Nagara, Central Business District (CBD) area, and Niladri Road-- for new year celebrations.
Detailing arrangements, he said, "Approximately 20,000 police personnel and officials have been deployed to man the city to ensure that the celebrations are peaceful and happy. The deployment includes 14,000 personnel for Law and Order maintenance, 2,500 personnel for traffic management, 88 Karnataka State Reserve Police (KSRP) platoons, 21 City Armed Reserve (CAR) platoons, 250 cobra bike personnels among others."
The minister said emphasis has been laid on women's safety, crowd management, and advisories have been issued to stakeholders like bars, restaurants, malls, pubs among others.
"Security is also a major focus area, keeping in mind the recent Delhi blast, and necessary preventive measures are being taken, and a watch has been kept on the activities of anti social elements," he said.
Bars and restaurants have been instructed to strictly adhere to time limits with respect to serving liquor and their activities, and the 1 am deadline will be strictly implemented.
Noting that certain new initiatives have been taken, Parameshwara said. QR code consisting of all the necessary information has been distributed to pubs, restaurants, malls and public places among others.
Watch towers, focus lights are being installed in identified areas, also access control facilities and vehicle checkpoints are being set up at various places, he said.
Drone cameras will be deployed for surveillance, along with CCTV cameras in addition to what already exists, also safety shelters are being set up in various places, the Home Minister said. Sufficient ambulances and fire tenders are being positioned at places where crowds gather.
"We have also deployed some 2,500 police to manage the traffic," he said, adding that some buses, cars, and police vehicles have been kept ready, to send stranded people back home in night hours.
For the first time, "heatmap" has been introduced in Bengaluru, which will idenitify places with large crowd in red and relay real-time information to the control or command centre to aid in crowd management, he added.
Meanwhile, officials said 2,854 drunk and driving cases have been registered in the last five days as part of a drive in the run up to New Year.
Let the Truth be known. If you read VB and like VB, please be a VB Supporter and Help us deliver the Truth to one and all.
Bengaluru (PTI): Karnataka Chief Minister Siddaramaiah on Friday appealed for peace and harmony in the wake of communal clashes in Bagalkote triggered by alleged stone pelting during a Shivaji Jayanti procession.
Tension prevailed in the district headquarter town of Bagalkote town on Friday following the face-off between two communities, prompting the district administration to clamp prohibitory orders.
Shops remained shut across Bagalkote amid the unrest.
In a post on X, Siddaramaiah said, "The stone-pelting incident in Bagalkot is a threat to the peace and harmony of the society. I and our government strongly condemn this."
ALSO READ: Bagalkote: Man arrested for stone-pelting during Shivaji Jayanti procession
The CM said he had spoken to senior police officers and ordered them to conduct an impartial investigation.
Siddaramaiah has also instructed police to initiate legal action against the miscreants.
Some accused have already been arrested and are being interrogated in connection with the case, and those found guilty will be punished, he added.
Siddaramaiah said, “Providing a fear-free and peaceful life to the people of the country is our first priority. We will not tolerate any person or force that disturbs the peace and tranquility of the people.”
Urging citizens to stay calm and not to fall prey to any provocations, Siddaramaiah assured that the police department will discharge its duty impartially.
The opposition BJP blamed the ruling Congress for the incident, alleging that its "appeasement politics" has resulted in the communal clashes.
“The stone-pelting and shoe-pelting incident on the procession of Chhatrapati Shivaji Maharaj in Bagalkot is a highly condemnable and despicable act. In this mismanagement, the law and order situation has completely collapsed in the Tughlaq Congress government, and the miscreants who disturb the peace have found refuge,” BJP state president B Y Vijayendra said in a post on ‘X’.
“If stone-pelting is taking place in the presence of the police, where is the safety of the common people in the state?” he asked.
Vijayendra alleged that such continuous attacks targeting Hindu festivals and processions look like a systematic conspiracy in the Congress rule in the state.
“Such hooliganism cannot take place without the courage of the state government to stand by them. At least now, the government of Chief Minister Siddaramaiah should leave its politics of appeasement and immediately arrest those who have harmed the honour of Shivaji Maharaj, who is the identity of the nation,” the MLA said.
He also cautioned the Chief Minister not to “test the patience of the Hindu society”.
“There is no question of remaining silent when it comes to the identity of our beloved men and our country!” Vijayendra said.
