Bengaluru (PTI): Two men involved in cheating people with a "zero per cent interest gold loan" fraud scheme were arrested and gold and silver articles worth Rs 1.8 crore were seized, police said on Tuesday.
The arrests was made by the Central Crime Branch (CCB) of Bengaluru City Police, they said.
According to police, the main accused had opened a jewellery shop in Vidyaranapura, advertising "zero per cent interest gold loans" to attract the public. Believing the false advertisement, many customers pledged their gold ornaments and took loans.
However, they were given only 50-60 per cent of the actual value of the pledged gold and were told not to redeem their jewels for at least 11 months.
During this period, the accused illegally sold the pledged gold to another jeweller, earning a profit of 40-50 per cent. Under this fraudulent scheme, a total of around four kg of gold was misappropriated. After 11 months, the accused closed the shop and absconded, confirming the fraud, a senior police officer said.
Two weeks ago, the main accused was traced and arrested from his residence in Peenya in Bengaluru, he said.
Subsequently, police said they seized 1.478 gm of gold ornaments and five kg silver items, from the jewellery shop in HRBR Layout that had been pledged illegally.
The total value of the seized property is approximately Rs 1.8 crore, they added.
The second accused in the case was also arrested, police said.
"Preliminary investigation has revealed that the accused had carried out similar fraudulent activities in Mangaluru district and in Kerala. Further investigation is underway," the officer said.
Following the incident, the Bengaluru City Police has issued a public advisory advising people to verify the authenticity and license of the financial institution before pledging gold.
"Do not fall prey to deceptive schemes such as zero per cent interest loans. If any suspicious or fraudulent schemes are noticed, please inform the nearest police station or CCB Economic Offences Wing immediately," it added.
Let the Truth be known. If you read VB and like VB, please be a VB Supporter and Help us deliver the Truth to one and all.
Mumbai (PTI): Veteran screenwriter Salim Khan suffered a brain haemorrhage which has been tackled, is on ventilator support as a safeguard and stable, doctors treating him said on Wednesday, a day after he was admitted to the Lilavati Hospital here.
The 90-year-old, one half of the celebrated Salim-Javed duo which scripted films such as "Sholay", "Deewar" and "Don" with Javed Akhtar, is in the ICU and recovery might take some time given his age.
"His blood pressure was high for which we treated him and we had to put him on a ventilator because we wanted to do certain investigations. Now the ventilator was put as a safeguard so that his situation doesn't get worse. So it is not that he is critical," Dr Jalil Parkar told reporters.
"We did the investigations that were required and today we have done a small procedure on him, I will not go into the details. The procedure done is called DSA (digital subtraction angiography). The procedure has been accomplished, he is fine and stable and shifted back to ICU. By tomorrow, we hope to get him off the ventilator. All in all, he is doing quite well," he added.
Asked whether he suffered a brain haemorrhage, the doctor said, "Unko thoda haemorrhage hua tha, which we’ve tackled. No surgery is required.
As concern over Khan's health mounted, his children, including superstar Salman Khan and Arbaaz Khan, daughter Alvira, and sons-in-law Atul Agnihotri and Aayush Sharma, have been seen outside the hospital along with other well-wishers. His long-time partner Akhtar was also seen coming out of the hospital.
Khan, a household name in the 70s and 80s, turned 90 on November 24 last year. It was the day Dharmendra, the star of many of his films, including "Sholay", "Seeta aur Geeta" and "Yaadon Ki Baraat", passed away.
Hailing from an affluent family in Indore, Khan arrived in Mumbai in his 20s with dreams of stardom. He was good looking and confident he would make a mark in the industry as an actor. But that did not happen. And then, after struggling for close to a decade and getting confined to small roles in films, he changed lanes.
He worked as an assistant to Abrar Alvi and soon met Akhtar to form one of Hindi cinema's most formidable writing partnerships. They worked together on two dozen movies with most of them achieving blockbuster status.
Other than "Sholay", "Deewar" and "Don", Khan and Akhtar also penned "Trishul", "Zanjeer", "Seeta Aur Geeta", "Haathi Mere Saathi", "Yaadon Ki Baarat" and "Mr India".
