Bengaluru, Dec 7: Rejecting calls for B Y Vijayendra's ouster as Karnataka BJP president, party national general secretary Radha Mohan Das Agrawal on Saturday said the leadership is not changed based on someone's demand.

Any action against senior MLA Basanagouda Patil Yatnal, who has been served a show cause notice, will be decided by high command based on his response, he said.

The state BJP core committee that met, amid factional rift within the BJP with the Yatnal-led group openly criticising Vijayendra and not accepting his leadership, discussed controlling such acts of "indiscipline" in consultation with the high command.

It was also decided at the meeting to bring to the notice of the party's national leadership for strict action against MLAs S T Somashekar and Shivaram Hebbar, who are involved in "anti-party" activities and have identified themselves with the Congress party.

ALSO READ: BY Vijayendra demands judicial probe into Ballari maternal deaths case

"The power to change or decide on the party leadership (in the state) lies with the grassroot level workers or with the national leadership of the party. No other individual has such powers," Agrawal said responding to a question about Yatnal and the team talking about changing leadership in the state.

Speaking to reporters after the core committee meeting, he said, "Party leadership is not changed based on someone's demand. Whatever is appropriate based on organisational requirements at that point in time, decisions are accordingly made. Today Vijayendra is appropriate, so he is our state president."

A faction of party leaders led by Yatnal, which includes MLAs Ramesh Jarkiholi, B P Harish, and former lawmakers Aravind Limbavali, Kumar Bangarappa and G M Siddeshwara among others, are critical of state leadership, especially Vijayendra.

Yatnal and a few of these leaders have been openly critical of Vijayendra, accusing him of indulging in "adjustment politics" with the ruling Congress. They also accused him and his father, veteran leader B S Yediyurappa, of trying to keep the party under their clutches.

Responding to a question, Agrawal said, "There is nothing like Yatnal versus Vijayendra or Yatnal versus BJP in Karnataka... a show cause notice has been given to Yatnal and we will wait for his reply."

Once the response to the show cause notice is received, the party will decide the next course of action, he said, adding that "...we are not only talking about taking action, but we are also talking about not taking action. Everything will depend on what happens."

The BJP's central disciplinary committee earlier this week issued a show cause notice to Yatnal for "defiance" and hurling "false and veiled" allegations against the party's state leadership, especially Vijayendra.

Yatnal, who subsequently met leaders in Delhi, said he had submitted a six-page reply to the notice served to him, and has explained to the party leadership in detail, the alleged "adjustment politics, grand corruption and dynastic politics" prevailing in the Karnataka unit of the party.

Speaking to reporters after the crore committee meeting, Vijayendra said, at the meeting it was decided to control "indiscipline" activities of some party leaders that has been going on for a few months now, bringing it to the notice of the high command.

To a question on action against Yatnal and team, he said, the matter is already before the party high command. "He (Yatnal) had also appeared before the disciplinary committee. The ball is already in the high command's court, they will decide."

The state BJP chief said, at the core committee meeting, it was unanimously decided to take strict action against MLAs S T Somashekar and Shivaram Hebbar who are involved in "anti-party" activities and have identified themselves with the Congress party.

"Things will be brought to the notice of the party's national president and a decision will be taken at the earliest. At the core committee meeting, almost every member was of the view that a decision should be taken regarding suspending them and moving for their disqualification as MLAs immediately, in consultation with the high command," he said.

Vijayendra further said, the core committee discussed the party's defeat in Sandur and Shiggaon Assembly bypolls recently, and decided to constitute a fact finding team led by former chief minister D V Sadananada Gowda and party vice president N Mahesh.

Get all the latest, breaking news from Karnataka in a single click. CLICK HERE to get all the latest news from Karnataka.

Let the Truth be known. If you read VB and like VB, please be a VB Supporter and Help us deliver the Truth to one and all.



Sultanpur (UP) (PTI): Leader of Opposition in the Lok Sabha Rahul Gandhi on Friday appeared before an MP-MLA court in Uttar Pradesh's Sultanpur and recorded his statement in a 2018 defamation case related to his remarks against Union Home Minister Amit Shah.

Gandhi told the court of Special Judge Shubham Verma that the allegations against him were made out of political malice and with an aim of destroying his image and that of his party, the Congress leader's advocate Kashi Prasad Shukla told PTI.

The court fixed March 9 as the next date of hearing on which the Lok Sabha MP from Raebareli has been asked to furnish evidence in his defence, the lawyer said.

Elaborating about the statement given by the Congress leader in the court, his lawyer said Gandhi denied all allegations levelled against him.

ALSO READ:  Answer to 'abject surrender' lies in 'grips', 'chokes' placed on PM: Rahul on India-US trade deal

"The allegations are baseless and unfounded. I have never used derogatory words against anyone, nor have I used such language with the intention of defaming anyone. A false complaint has been filed by distorting my statement," Shukla quoted Gandhi as saying.

"The allegations have been made against me out of political malice with the aim of destroying my image and that of my party. I have never used derogatory words against anyone, nor have I used such language with the intention of defaming anyone," Gandhi told the court

As the Congress leader emerged from the court after recording his statement, party supporters raised slogans hailing him. Gandhi smiled and waved at the crowd before leaving.

Gandhi entered the Sultanpur court around 10.40 am and left after recording statements around 11.15 am.

Ahead of the court hearing, some local Congress leaders had put up posters in Sultanpur that read 'Satyamev Jayate' (truth always triumphs).

The case dates back to 2018 when local BJP leader and former chairman of the District Cooperative Bank Vijay Mishra had filed a defamation complaint against Gandhi, alleging that during the Karnataka elections in 2018, the Congress leader made derogatory remarks against the then BJP president and current Union Home Minister Shah.

Santosh Kumar Pandey, the lawyer representing Mishra, said the cross-examination of the plaintiff and two witnesses has been completed.

The trial has been underway for the past five years. In December 2023, a warrant was issued against Gandhi for non-appearance before the court. He surrendered in February 2024, following which a special magistrate granted him bail on two sureties of Rs 25,000 each.

On July 26, 2024, Gandhi recorded his statement before the court, claiming innocence and terming the case a political conspiracy. Thereafter, the court directed the complainant to produce evidence in the case.