Bengaluru: The Karnataka government told the High Court on Tuesday that the Governor does not have the authority to sanction the prosecution of Chief Minister Siddaramaiah in the MUDA scam.
Senior Advocate Kapil Sibal, representing the State, argued before a Division Bench comprising Chief Justice NV Anjaria and Justice KV Aravind that the Governor’s decision to grant prosecution sanction raises a significant constitutional issue. "The Governor cannot approve the prosecution of a Chief Minister. If this precedent is set, it could lead to chaos," Sibal said.
The Bench issued notice on Siddaramaiah's appeal challenging a single-judge's decision to uphold the Governor’s sanction. The matter has been posted for further hearing on 25th January 2025.
The case pertains to allegations of corruption involving the Mysore Urban Development Authority (MUDA). The Governor, Thawar Chand Gehlot, granted sanction on 26th July to prosecute Siddaramaiah based on complaints by activists TJ Abraham, Snehamai Krishna, and Pradeep Kumar SP. The complaints alleged that MUDA granted inflated compensation for 14 parcels of land to Siddaramaiah's wife, Parvathi, in exchange for the development of three acres of land gifted to her by her brother, Mallikarjuna Swamy.
Devaraju, the original owner of the land, expressed distress over being dragged into the case. Represented by Senior Advocate Dushyant Dave, Devaraju urged the court to protect him, arguing that he had no connection to the political controversy.
The Bench assured him, stating, "You are like the lotus in murky water. We'll treat you separately." However, it declined to stay the criminal proceedings against him.
Senior Advocate Abhishek Manu Singhvi, appearing for Siddaramaiah, contended that the Governor’s decision violated s.17A of the Prevention of Corruption Act, which mandates prior police inquiry before granting prosecution sanction. Singhvi also argued that the Governor must act on the advice of the council of ministers, barring cases of manifest illegality.
Senior Advocates KG Raghavan and Maninder Singh, representing the complainants, supported the Governor's decision. Meanwhile, the court declined to comment on a plea seeking a CBI probe into the scam, which is scheduled for a hearing on 10th December.
Let the Truth be known. If you read VB and like VB, please be a VB Supporter and Help us deliver the Truth to one and all.
Bengaluru (PTI): The Karnataka State Cyber Command has arrested 68 people as part of a statewide drive against mule bank accounts and “mule herders” involved in cyber fraud, officials said on Friday.
The special operations, which have been continuing since last week across Karnataka, targeted networks engaged in aggregating and selling mule bank accounts used for cyber crimes.
The arrests were made between December 2025 and February 2026, police said in an updated report.
“The Karnataka Cyber Command has conducted statewide special operations against Mule accounts and mule herders across Karnataka. The special drive has continued since last week and this is an updated report,” the department said in a statement.
ALSO READ: CM Siddaramaiah appeals for peace after Bagalkote clashes, BJP blames Cong
Police said the investigation identified a network of “mule herders” — individuals who aggregate and misuse mule bank accounts — who were retailing and selling such accounts to cyber criminals.
A total of 68 key accused and suspects have been arrested during the period.
According to the statement, mule herders had collected personal information and documents from unsuspecting laypersons and opened multiple bank accounts in the names of their relatives.
“These accounts were operated in a business-like manner,” it added.
As part of the crackdown, police registered 60 cases and identified 869 mule accounts across the state. As many as 8,788 complaints were registered on the National Cyber Crime Reporting Portal (NCRP) against the identified mule accounts.
The total money involved in all NCRP-linked crimes stood at Rs 85.05 crore, of which Rs 13.43 crore has been put on hold, the Cyber Command said.
During the drive, police obtained 32 search warrants and conducted 35 searches. In the searches, 35 ATM cards, 37 passbooks, 80 mobile phones, 28 cheque books and 22 SIM cards were seized, along with other incriminating materials, officials said. Pronab Mohanty, the Director General of Police (Karnataka State Cyber Command) supervised the special drive, police added.
